Permitted development rear extension next to existing planning permission side extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if any of you could help with this query.

The house was previously extended by the old home owner. it has a side extension that extends beyond the rear wall. This extension went through the planning permission route and was granted permission.

What I would like to do is add an extension full width of the original house with my permitted development rights.

My query is.. Can I do this with out falling under the rule of the extension only being able to extend half the original house width because it links to the side extension?

I know if the side extension was build on permitted development rights I'd only be able to extend up to half width of the original house but because the old extension was granted full permission and wasn't built under permitted development does this rule still apply..

I've attached a picture of permitted development guidance.

((This is what is written in the technical guidance book below the picture i have attached))
In the example above, if the side extension (A) was built first, it would meet the requirement for being no more than half of the width of the original house. However, the later addition of the rear extension (B) would mean that the total width would be more than half the width of the house. The rear extension would therefore require an application for planning permission.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 16.56.24.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 16.56.24.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,749
Sponsored Links
If you physically join your proposed back extension to the existing side extension, you would need planning permission. This is regardless of whether the side extension had planning permission or was built as permitted development.

If you physically join your proposed back extension to the existing side extension, you would need planning permission. This is regardless of whether the side extension had planning permission or was built as permitted development.

So to connect to the side extension under permitted development I would have to ensure I am at only half width of the original house. thats for both existing side extension and proposed rear extension combined. Correct?

Sponsored Links
Yes - look at the combined width of the existing side extension and proposed rear extension, from the back garden.
If the combined width is greater than one-half the width of the original house, it would not be p.d.

In practice, if your original house was - say - 20ft wide, and your existing extension is 8ft wide, it would give you very little additional extension on the back if you were to keep the combined width to half the width of the house.

Some of the legislations/guidance can be quite a headache to interpret at times.

We'd certainly need planning, as its already over the half the width.

Only reason we are trying to avoid the planning route here is to avoid the 45-degree rule.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back