Do I need to drain the system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I'm renovating my bathroom and want to put a towel rail where a radiator once was. I've taken the radiator off so have the existing pipe work there with the valves still on (turned off)

I need to cut the pipes back and re-do the layout. I was hoping to have a plumber do this but they all seem stacked out!

I live in a bungalow and have a combi boiler (vallient eco tec) which has a drain valve under the boiler and one other drain valve under a radiator by the front door.

Do I power off the combi boiler, turn all the valves off for all radiators and open the valves on the pipe work for the pipes I need to cut back and drain? Then repressurise the system? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
In a word, yes.

If you isolate the rads and boiler then you won't need to " drain the system "

Thank you for the quick response.

So I power off the combi boiler, turn all the valves off for all radiators and open the valves on the pipe work for the pipes I need to cut back and drain. Cut it back etc. Then open all the valves on all the radiators and repressurise the system. That should be okay? Anything missing?

Thanks again

Don’t forget to add fresh inhibitor into the system before filling.

Sponsored Links
There is no need to drain the system, simply close the flow & return valves under the boiler, then open one of the valves that fed the rad you've removed.
A small amount of water will come out until the system reaches ambient pressure, you can then alter pipes accordingly.
You probably won't be able to solder joints though, as the pipes will contain water.
However, if you want soldered joints on show, then make up a piece of pipe to fit, and then join to "wet" pipe using compression fitting under floor if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back