Do I need to leave this 'lateral support'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm renovating my house and have knocked down a 100mm thick masonry wall between my Kitchen/Diner. Before doing so, I had a surveyor in to check that it wasn't weight bearing, fortunately it isn't - he did suggest leaving 450mm of wall to provide lateral support to the rear wall, here's his exact text:

The solid 100mm thick wall that currently exists between the kitchen and dining room at the rear of the property is non-loadbearing. The wall can be removed without compromising the structural integrity of the building. However we would recommend that a 450mm length of wall is left in order to provide lateral support to the rear wall.

So, I took down the wall leaving this part of the wall, however its going to spoil my plans for the kitchen design, additionally having checked there are only 5 bricks (wall is 9ft tall) actually tied into the rear wall, which is a 1927 solid masonry wall.

Based on the above, do I really need to retain this lateral support? Really appreciate your help! Hopefully these photos will help.

View media item 37744

Sponsored Links
I would doubt that it would add much support to the rear wall, especially if it's not really tied in properly. Spine walls going across the houses up to the top used to, but that one wouldn't do a lot.

Rip it out. That length of back wall in english bond and with an external splatter coat is not going walk about.
By the way, if you want a lift up with that bottle of scotch on table, let me know. I like to see bottles in the bottle bank. :D :D
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links
Rip it out. That length of back wall in english bond and with an external splatter coat is not going walk about.
By the way, if you want a lift up with that bottle of scotch on table, let me know. I like to see bottles in the bottle bank. :D :D
Regards oldun

Thanks chaps! I'll be taking it out today in that case - very happy as it was really going to limit my plans for the kitchen!!

...and if you're ever in Bristol 'TheOldUn', I'll share a shot with you :D

Now to work out how to take it down without making a mess lol!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back