Is this wall providing lateral support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove a downstairs block wall that's not supporting any load above. However it's the only internal wall attached to a 10m long exterior wall. Is it likely to be providing lateral structural support to the external wall?
The 8x2 joists run parallel to the wall I want to remove and do not sit on the wall.
The house is about 12 years old.

Sponsored Links
Yeah the exterior wall is cavity, blocks and bricks.

Just to clarify, the inner and outer walls will be tied together thus supporting each other.

Why would you want to remove it anyway?

Just to be clear, you mean only the inner wall yeah?

Sponsored Links
I think the OP is on about a wall at right angles to the external cavity wall.
OP does this wall run from one outside wall across to the opposite wall?

10m is a bit long for a laterally-unsupported wall, particularly if the floor joists are parallel to it. What supports the 8x2s? - is it the wall you want to take out?

The external wall is 10m long cavity wall, with each skin being tied to the other. The one I want to remove is at right angles to the external wall and is about 3m wide. The joists run parallel to the 3m wall I want to remove and do not sit on it.
Do the joists provide lateral support? I won't be touching any of them.

If it helps, the 3m wall currently houses a pair of wooden framed 5ft french doors.

OK I've taken a look at the joists and they run into the inner skin of the cavity wall, i.e supported by the inner skin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back