Do i need to use engineering bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to brick an outside doorway up in my sons house..It is a circa 1870's end terrace, consequently it has not got a conventional concrete foundation...We have dug the old doorstep out today and removed the layers of bricks and soft lime mortar that made the foundation ,if you can call it that..We then put in a concrete base for us to start laying the bricks / blocks...The walls are 9 inch solid i might add..Now since the existing house has no DPC (that is until we inject a chemical one at a later date )..Where do i have to put one in the bit i'm bricking up ?...Bill

Sponsored Links
Now since the existing house has no DPC (that is until we inject a chemical one at a later date )..Where do i have to put one in the bit i'm bricking up ?...Bill

Ideally 150mm (2 courses) above External Ground Level - but in an old house like you have got you may find this takes you waaaaaay over the internal floor level. This is obviously not good, so you may have to come to a compromise.....

You don't need to use eng. brick you can use a strip of 100mm DPC as normal. You can use eng. brick below DPC if you want although it will stick out like a sore thumb.

If you are blocking up a doorway, then why not use some matching bricks and just inject it when you do the rest of the house. That way everything matches in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back