Do i really need a TRV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

It looks like I have a faulty TRV on my radiator in my living room (taken the head off & the pin doesn't move at all, even with a with a whacking iron).

The radiator is in the same room as the wall thermostat, so my question is do i really need to replace it with another TRV or can I put on a normal valve & rely on the wall thermostat?

Thanks guys.

ps , sorry if this is a noob question.

Sponsored Links
Ease the pin up about 3mm with a pair of grips, then give it a squirt of wd 40, and it will start working again.

Sponsored Links
In fact, you do not want a trv in the room with the roomstat.

You are right as usually ;)

But one would assume if the pin is stuck the rad don't get hot, so lifting the pin a tad would be a bonus. :idea:

Great, thanks for the reply's I will go up the road tommorow & get a normal radiator valve to replace it.

But one would assume if the pin is stuck the rad don't get hot, so lifting the pin a tad would be a bonus. :idea:

I have tried gently tapping the pin with a hammer & pulling it with some pliers, the stupid thing wont budge even 1 mm. So i am thinking it is fubar'd.

Soaked it overnight in wd40 & it was moving in the morning. Tested it & the supply pipe was getting hot but the radiator was not. I turned off all the other radiators (found that advice on another thread) & just left it for about an hour, all of a sudden there was a great big gurgling noise & the radiator started working & has been working fine ever since.

Thanks for all the advice.

Sticky trv and gurgling noise are signs of a badly corroded system. Is it open vent by any chance?
You should get this sorted out asap, corrosion leads invariably to very high bills.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back