Do soakaway crates allow soakaway close to building?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been following a Planning Application near to me, and where the authorities have raised concerns about the rainwater soakaway being too close to the house due to the small garden, the designer has replied they will use soakaway crates to mitigate this.

Is this a valid option? If so it may appeal to me, as I would like to drain a driveway into a piece of garden 2.5m from our home.

We live on basically a sand dune.

Thanks!
Tim

Sponsored Links
No.
But on sand it might not be an issue.

Crates are no different to stone ones, they just hold more water.

Sponsored Links
Do BC take in to account the soil type, or is it a fairly standard 5m?

As I live on sand, and i would be fitting one purely to drain the 26 square metre driveway, so would probably just do it without permission tbh 2.5m away from the house!

So BC aren’t involved yet? I’d keep it that way.....

For me, no. It's just changing a gravel drive to a paved drive, and ensuring my surface water doesn't end up on the highway. No intention of telling them.

Was also really just wondering if the architects argument for the house development around the corner was accurate, seems its BS.

Thanks all for the input :)

Get it in the sewer ;)

That would involve an expensive trench into the road! The sewer is about 5m to the side, and on a lower ground level.

All the rainwater downpipes go direct into the sewer, presumably from when the house was built in the 50's and there was no mains sewer connection!

Old soakaways are often not 5 metres away from rear of house.

What you dont want is ground swelling. I should imagine though that sand has a low swelling factor and a high percolation rate.

Crates can hold a lot of water, over 90% compared to a hardcore soakaway that prob less than 50% new and can fully silt up in time.

I guess you dont want a permeable driveway or linear drain

http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain14.htm

That would involve an expensive trench into the road! The sewer is about 5m to the side, and on a lower ground level.

All the rainwater downpipes go direct into the sewer, presumably from when the house was built in the 50's and there was no mains sewer connection!

Tap into them as they go down your driveway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back