Do UPVC windows always need frame fixings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having some windows put in and the guy fitting them said it's not necessary to use frame fixings if the windows doesn't have to open, as the expanding foam will hold it in. This is the first I've heard of this. Should I insist he put some fixings in anyway or is this normal?

thanks for any advice,
S.

Sponsored Links
Your guy is correct, foam will happily hold a window in so long as its not overly big, like say a little bathroom window, any bigger then it would be best to fix, i don't know the size of your window but its possible your guy can't get his drill in to drill it?

Your guy is correct, foam will happily hold a window in so long as its not overly big, like say a little bathroom window, any bigger then it would be best to fix, i don't know the size of your window but its possible your guy can't get his drill in to drill it?

Nah... he can definitely get a drill in, it's 800x1000. When I pushed against it it moved (a little) - maybe it hasn't cured yet. I was just worried he did it that way because he couldn't be bothered to take the glazing out.

Nah... he can definitely get a drill in, it's 800x1000. When I pushed against it it moved (a little) - maybe it hasn't cured yet. I was just worried he did it that way because he couldn't be bothered to take the glazing out.

800mm x 1000mm then i would fix that :eek: , now that you've said he couldn't be bothered to de-glaze it then yes i'd put it down to lazyness

Sponsored Links
My elderly next door neighbour used to hang her arse out of an open upstairs window whilst cleaning the outside of the adjacent fixed glass panel - I'm guessing that if some cowboy had "fixed" the frame in with just foam that the frame would most likely have fallen out?

Fix it properly! :eek:

With some persuasion he eventually did, and put in a couple of fixings either side. With a bit more persuasion he straightened up another door he'd put in which was a good 15mm out. I'll do it myself next time :rolleyes:.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back