Do we need a megalflo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a 3 bed one bath 1930's terraced house. We are about to statr a loft conversion to add one bed and a shower room.
Currently we have a boiler in the kitchen ( bought only 2 years ago) a hot water tank in the bathroom and a cold water tank in the loft.
One loft conversion company said we needed a megaflo cylinder and this would replace the hot and cold water tanks but would cost about £3000. Another said the cold water tank could go under the eaves and they would fit a pump? to increase the water pressure.
We are completely ignorant when it comes to anything like this & would be grateful for any advice.

thanks

Sponsored Links
We live in a 3 bed one bath 1930's terraced house. We are about to statr a loft conversion to add one bed and a shower room.
Currently we have a boiler in the kitchen ( bought only 2 years ago) a hot water tank in the bathroom and a cold water tank in the loft.
One loft conversion company said we needed a megaflo cylinder and this would replace the hot and cold water tanks but would cost about £3000. Another said the cold water tank could go under the eaves and they would fit a pump? to increase the water pressure.
We are completely ignorant when it comes to anything like this & would be grateful for any advice.

thanks

Personally, even though your boiler is 2 years old, I would lean towards a high flow combi. Look at the Broag 35c or 39C. A number of threads relate to it.

The 39C is around £917 and that is it apart from installation costs and all the tanks and cylinders are removed. It appears the cost effective way to go. It saves space and will deliver the DHW.

You could use either the Megaflow or the cheaper option a negative head pump. both suggestion will work although the pump may empty your hot water cylinder quicker than you'd like.

You could use either the Megaflow or the cheaper option a negative head pump. both suggestion will work although the pump may empty your hot water cylinder quicker than you'd like.

With loft conversion you limited for space and the last thing you need is tanks in the eves. Also any cylinder is going to be small because of the limited height. The combi is by far the best way and probably the most cost effective. The two year old boiler should not be kept just because it is newish. An open mind is needed. A shame, it may be ditched, or at least take the pump out.

Sponsored Links
Also any cylinder is going to be small because of the limited height.

I was under the impression that the cylinder is in the bathroom and is not in the way.

I also wonder whether replacing the hot water cylinder with a thermal store may be an option - I'll leave the pros and cons of that to the experts though.

Also any cylinder is going to be small because of the limited height.

I was under the impression that the cylinder is in the bathroom and is not in the way.

I also wonder whether replacing the hot water cylinder with a thermal store may be an option - I'll leave the pros and cons of that to the experts though.

It would have to be a pressurised thermal store or one with a remote header tank. In this situation a combi is usually the better bet.

Oh, it's another one of BIgWaterDrivelBurner's multiple personalities.

Have the mods locked you out?

With loft conversion you limited for space and the last thing you need is tanks in the eves. Also any cylinder is going to be small because of the limited height. The combi is by far the best way and probably the most cost effective. The two year old boiler should not be kept just because it is newish. An open mind is needed. A shame, it may be ditched, or at least take the pump out.

BB,WS or whoever else you're likely to be today. I'm surprised at your recommendation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back