Dodgy old boiler & rads not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone newbie here.

Right - the problem:

Put on the heating yesterday and the radiators in the kitchen and the front room did not heat up.

Phone up brother in law and father in law and they suggested that it might be sludge (both plumbers that live over 200 miles away - very handy :eek: )

Got told to get Sentinal Sludge Remover X400 - which has been happily purchased and placed in the tank as per instructions.

Put on the heating to let it work through and after a whole day of the heating being on still no warmth in the downstairs radiatiors. Then low and behold - the four upstairs went cold on me. Boiler still switched on downstairs (AGA Highlight B50A - 15 years old :eek: ).

Cant figure out what the problem is so I decided to tap the pump that is under the boiler and the upstairs heated up for a while again and then stopped.

The question is - Does the Pump need replacing (I know the boiler will be and am trying to save the money for it) - Will it be cheap (we do have people come out once a year to service it) - Will I be able to do it myself (complete novice that likes to file things)

Any answers and solutions to this would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance from a freezing 5 member family sitting in front of a calor gas fire in lots of jumpers lol :D :oops:

Sponsored Links
Does the Pump need replacing
Yes more than likely
Will it be cheap
Depends what you call cheap. I charge about £100 to change a pump depending on how accessible it is and sometimes more depending on whether it needs new valves thus involving a drain off, in this situation. They may charge more or less in your area
Will I be able to do it myself
Best to get someone in unless you are confident and happen to have the tools to undo them big nuts.

Dont forget to have a window open slightly for ventilation when using that calor gas fire.

X 400 needs a few weeks at least to work if it does at all .Also when putting it in you should partially drain your system not just empty it into an already full header tank . It does sound like the pump has gone though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back