Does a combi boiler diverter valve ever "unstick" on its own?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The title says it really.

I'm pretty sure the sensor for the diverter valve in our combi boiler has stuck. For the last week or so, we've only had DHW when CH is on. There might have been once yesterday that drawing water from the hot tap caused the boiler to ignite, which made me hopeful for a second, but I might have just fooled myself by having the heating on (I haven't been able to repeat it).

I'd rather not have anybody in the house due to COVID, so I was wondering whether there's anything I can do to encourage the sensor to trigger (eg: could CH being on long enough to heat up the inside of the boiler casing loosen some lubricant on the microswitch actuator, or might some particles stuck in the valve be flushed by long or sudden changes in water drawn from the hot taps or repeated on/off cycles of CH - if this weren't a gas installation, I'd try taking the cover off and giving the actuators a little tap/wiggle etc). I believe it must be the microswitch or pin that triggers it, as the boiler shows no sign at all of recognising that water is being drawn - there's no failed attempt to light, just nothing at all.

And another quick question - if CH currently works fine and can get DHW with CH on, can I rely on that being the case for at least a month or two, or might that be a sign we're about to have no hot water at all?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Our crystal balls are all on lockdown Im afraid, so anyone who can guess what boiler you have can have a week off

Thanks Ian. I didn't expect that the model would make much difference as it is quite a "crystal ball" question anyway. It's a Vokera Maxin 24e.

Thanks Ian. I didn't expect that the model would make much difference as it is quite a "crystal ball" question anyway. It's a Vokera Maxin 24e.
See how easy was that, your boiler does not have an actuator, it will be the DHW diaphragm that has perished, not a huge job to be honest and the diaphragm is only a few quid

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ian. Can this be a stable situation, or should we expect all hot water to go kaput soon?

you will get some HW when the CH is on, but when the CH is off you wont get HW, its a very easy fix for someone who knows the boiler

The title says it really.

I'm pretty sure the sensor for the diverter valve in our combi boiler has stuck. For the last week or so, we've only had DHW when CH is on. There might have been once yesterday that drawing water from the hot tap caused the boiler to ignite, which made me hopeful for a second, but I might have just fooled myself by having the heating on (I haven't been able to repeat it).

I'd rather not have anybody in the house due to COVID, so I was wondering whether there's anything I can do to encourage the sensor to trigger (eg: could CH being on long enough to heat up the inside of the boiler casing loosen some lubricant on the microswitch actuator, or might some particles stuck in the valve be flushed by long or sudden changes in water drawn from the hot taps or repeated on/off cycles of CH - if this weren't a gas installation, I'd try taking the cover off and giving the actuators a little tap/wiggle etc). I believe it must be the microswitch or pin that triggers it, as the boiler shows no sign at all of recognising that water is being drawn - there's no failed attempt to light, just nothing at all.

And another quick question - if CH currently works fine and can get DHW with CH on, can I rely on that being the case for at least a month or two, or might that be a sign we're about to have no hot water at all?

Thanks for any help
How many inanimate mechanical items do you know that spontaneously repair themselves?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back