Does anyone make a sofa that lasts these days?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Were doing up a 100 year old stone house slate roof etc and have been decorating in keeping with the house age.

Come to buy sofas. I know a sofa for £500 with a free carpet isnt going to be of great quality so we opted for a Lazeboy from Costco for £1450 for a 3 seat chesterfield.

The four feet sit squint, the middle supportive foot underneath you dont see is about 15mm off the floor! and the frame which you can see through a zipped opening is the usual mix of cheap ply and the odd missfired nail from a nail gun. Its utter sh*te!

I know you get ripped off paying full retail in these furniture sheds that always have a sale because the stuff isnt actually worth the full retail price it supposedly was. We went Costco because youve got great hassle free returns etc and they normally sell decent stuff, but this seems no better than DFS's finest.

Ive looked online at the likes of Saxon in Bolton and a few places in Wales.

Am I looking for something that doesnt exist these days, a good well made sofa that will last a good 20 year?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Go look at sofa DOT com ... you get a lifetime guarantee on the frame, and they are pretty forgiving with refunds etc. if you don't like the look of it when it arrives ...

Just an idea!

Bought my last couple of sofa's from furniture village about 15years ago, still as good as new.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that J&K we'll have a look at them next time. The present ones we have are bloody awful quality, and not particularly cheap either.

I reckon you're better off buying someone's expensive well-made sofa from Ebay, when it's three years old, for about a quarter of the new price. Worked for me.

Cheers
Richard

I bought a GPlan Vintage sofa and an an arm chair from John Lewis last year, over £2K, have to say having had to remove the underneath of the chair (for reasons I won't go into here :oops: ) I am none too impressed with the quality.

I bought a GPlan Vintage sofa and an an arm chair from John Lewis last year, over £2K, have to say having had to remove the underneath of the chair (for reasons I won't go into here :oops: ) I am none too impressed with the quality.
I don't know what make mine are, but what's inside (been in there to mend the springs) is 'orrible. Softwood, mdf, cardboard and staples.

Another UK hand made sofa company for you to try is Artdeco Sofas. (to which I have no affiliation other than I bought one once and it is still going well). Note though that they mainly make make old style sofas, but some of these look modern.

http://www.artdeco-sofas.com/

An Ektorp from IKEA will easily last 20 years. GF has had one for over 15 and still good as new. Cheap too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back