Does chemical spraying dry rot work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had dry rot on floor joists and stone wall in one room of a 200 yr old house, which was sprayed. Now less than three years later it's back (there was a small hole in the windowsill that let in moisture). And this time it's on the lintel too that's being replaced. The stone was bored last time, but only a few holes and straight into the stone and not into the joints between stones.

Last time only a few holes were bored into the external stone wall of the affected room but the company we plan to use this time say this was wrong and the idea is to bore "a lot" of holes into the joints of the stone so the chemical can percolate down.

Have you ever seen stone or timber treated or sprayed for dry rot and come back in the same place? We are not spraying for insurance purposes and we are not getting a guarantee because we are not going a metre down into the room below (cornicing etc). Is spraying worthwhile? How many holes should you bore?

Sponsored Links
well when i used to do it we used to drill every 12-15 inches in a diamond pattern at approx 45 degrees and flood the holes,but im am now lead to belive that the new method is containment where they drill a series of holes to stop the rot from travelling further.

i still use the old method when i encounter dry rot.

when you had it treated before did they issue a guarantee if so then claim on it thats what you paid good money for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back