Does flooring need removal before lay LVT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thanks for reading.

My new place has this kind of floor shown in the picture - is it lino? Would you recommend removing it before laying LVT?

Attachments

• 2022-03-17-17-26-17_AATSC.jpg
    2022-03-17-17-26-17_AATSC.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
Hi,

May I ask, how old is the property?
I could be wrong, but to me, they look like old vinyl tiles; and there is a chance that they (and the adhesive used) may contain asbestos.
It's nothing to be concerned about.
If you are keen to remove them, get a small sample tested first.
For a straightforward approach, if the tiles are sound, just cover them up! :)

Those look like Marley floor tiles and they do contain asbestos.

They are stuck down with a tar like substance that also acts as a damp proof membrane.

I left ours down and tiled / laminate floor over the top but if you are planning to bond vinyl the floor they maybe better off being taken up.

The tar will be a nightmare to get off.

If you are laying click type laminate boards leave them well alone and lay floor over the top.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

May I ask, how old is the property?
I could be wrong, but to me, they look like old vinyl tiles; and there is a chance that they (and the adhesive used) may contain asbestos.
It's nothing to be concerned about.
If you are keen to remove them, get a small sample tested first.
For a straightforward approach, if the tiles are sound, just cover them up! :)
Thanks - it was built-in early 1970s

Thanks - click type

Just underlay and click laminate over the top is best bet.

QuickStep is worth the money, very good quality and hard wearing.

Had a look at the shed offerings before buying ours and they weren't very durable by the look of it..

The floor has various marks possibly from paint and tape, should I remove these before laying the LVTs? Thank you 2022-03-23-23-01-26_AATSC.jpg 2022-03-23-23-01-18_AATSC.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back