Does joining a washer drain pipe amount to a leak risk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm wanting a professional plumber to answer if possible. I had to cut my washer drain pipe near the point it enters the washer. My landlord (a local council) was in the process if re-installing the washing machine after fitting a new kitchen. But, I got an email which told me I need to buy a new washer, because my cutting of the drain pipe presented a risk of water damage to the kitchen units. You can buy outlet hose connectors for joining this kind of hose pipe.

Is the council right in saying there is a risk of water damage if I join the outlet hose pipe with a product made for that purpose? If the risk is true, I need to replace hose with a replacement hose pipe, or buy a new washer. Thank you. Richard

Sponsored Links
I take it you have cut the rubber end off the washing machine drain hose. If so, then yes you will need to have a new waste hose fitted to the washing machine.

Andy

As Andy has said, you need a new drain hose, (need to source the correct one for your machine, try www.espares.co.uk). You dont need to replace the machine. Just make sure if fitting yourself, hose is securely attached to the machine, and connected to waste correctly.

I've cut the hose about 45mm out from the washing machine. Not at the end with a rubber ending bit. Therefore, I can use a outlet hose connector to join or attache the cut off part of the hose back onto the washer. The issue is, in joining the hose with an outlet hose connector, does that present an unacceptable risk of water leakage. Such that if I did not replace the entire hose (which would be acceptable) I would need to replace the washing machine. I would have thought joining the hose with a product for that purpose would not present an unacceptable risk. What does the professional say? Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes .... it's not correct as per the manufacturers specification therefore would not be acceptable as there is a risk that the repair could be a point of failure, as such the council will not entertain a fix.

As @Hugh Jaleak suggests, you want to open up the back of the machine and replace the drain hose completely for a manufacturers replacement part. Now that they know about it though they may ask for an installers report to provide a guarantee that it has been properly replaced as per the manufacturers specifications.

We have told you to get a new hose to suit the machine, provided it is fitted correctly there should be no chance of a leak. You must first unplug the machine and then take the access panel off to see where the hose enters the machine. You will find the other end on the hose has a moulded rubber socket so it attaches securely to the pump, which is then secured with a hose clip. Bite the bullet and replace the hose.

Trying to join cut corrugated plastic hose is probably not going to end well, especially as it seems you've cut it below the drum level, so it's going to be full of water most of the time....

I have no problem in replacing the hose. You will see that some first responders thought (it seemed to me at least) I'd cut off the hose at the end nearest the drain, not at the washing machine end, where I did cut it. That potentially made the advice a bit suspect. Anyway, the position of the cut is well above the drum sump point. It's actually almost level with the top of the washer. However, I take the advice that at the very least I should replace the hose with a replacement or (perhaps less problematical) get a new washer.

Last edited:
If your game enough to take the back off the machine then it's an easy fix, just get the hose for your machine and it'll be done in no time, should come with any clips (usually a double wire hose clip)

My washer is Bosch WFL2063GB/12. It's 22 years old. Fixed it twice. I now have a feeling that the local council will put me through hoops if I myself replace the hose (that's assuming I can get one). So, I think it likely it's less hassle to just buy another washer. But, I attach a picture of what I've got. The picture shows the part of the hose that was left in the washer before I managed to extract it. Not sure how easy it would be to replace a new hose - my luck, possibly a nightmare. :) Wonder if a washing m/c repair person replacing the hose would satisfy the council. Or get washer from Ebay for next to nothin'. :) Probably my best option when I think about it.

Attachments

• outlet hose Bosch.JPG
    outlet hose Bosch.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
If I buy a new hose & I have a washing machine guy fit it, how much should the charge be for fitting, do you think? (Although I guess it's not likely fixing would be economical having a washer guy fit the part).

Last edited:
OK, so if a washer guy fitted it (just to satisfy the landlord/council) and charged £15, my total costs would be £15+ £26.48 = £41.48

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back