Does monobloc mixer tap need a check valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Was plumbing in the monobloc mixer tap on a new bathroom basin. Connected up the cold feed, thought I'd turn on the tap to see if it worked before I connected up the hot - and was surprised to get a lap full of water from the (not yet connected) hot pipe (the hot tap was "on").

This got me thinking - if both taps are on and one side of the system (either hot or cold) suffers a pressure drop for some reason, is there a risk if the hot water running in to the cold pipe or vice-versa? .... and if that does happen, is it a problem (they are both, after all, fed from the same header tank).

If it is a problem, does that mean I should install check valves? I would rather not as I have just installed the thing and I don't want to have to take it all apart again!!!

Just for clarification - the cold water is from a header tank in the loft, the hot water is from a standard water cylinder which is fed from the same header tank.

Sponsored Links
its quite common to find check valves already build into the tails that come with the taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back