Does paint go off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to start decorating a room that has just been plastered.
We've got paint from 2 years ago, a part used b&q own emulsion which was used for miss coating, and an unopened tin of satinwood and an unopened tin of primer/undercoat. Both delux.
Are these likely to be ok to use or am I better off just buying fresh?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Certainly the unopened paint will be OK. The opened emulsion will also be OK if the lid has been on tightly and it's been stored indoors. The contents may have separated and it might not look OK when you open it, but a good stir will rectify matters. If it's been in a garage or shed and has frozen at some point then it won't be usable. I've used paint that's been up to 10 years old and it's been fine.

The problem you may have with the emulsion, is that when you open it, any dried flakes from the rim will fall in. So keep your eye open for any as you use it.

Used paint that has been over ten years old with no problem. I have come across a couple of tins of emulsion that I reckon must have been frozen at some point and that had definitely gone off. Not only had it separated but it absolutely stank .
I also had a tub of fence guard that froze . That too separated but rather than chucking it immediately I put it in the greenhouse . The water evaporated leaving behind a thickish paste that painted on fine and has lasted well too.
Earlier this year a customer asked me to shift some rubbish from her garage. "There's some tins of paint that might be some use to you " she said. I picked up one and gave it a little shake , clunk clunk it went. I opened it up to find a rock solid lump of paint at the bottom of the tin :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I found a small tin of Walpamur once - a lump in the bottom of the tin - I "beat it up " with some water to remind me of my old Dad when he used it back in the day;) lovely smell - like Snowcem used to be too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back