Does radiator have to stretch across full width of window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a room that is 3.9*3.9 by 2.3 in height.

I have put figures into a btu calculator and it says I need about 4000 btu.

The windows are 3 meters across in width.

I can fit a double radiator that is 1200mm in width and 400mm in height which would be suitable to heat the room.

Is this OK or should I look for one that is wider? Will it look odd? Should I try and get a 1600 or 1800 instead?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
There is a minimum size, this is the size that will maintain the room temperature, but there is really not maximum size, until you reach size of boiler output for a single room, as the larger the radiator the faster it can heat the room. There is a maximum water capacity as either a header tank or some other reservoir needs to cater for the expansion and contraction of the water.

Looking at speed the less water in the system the better, and the less steel, copper or other heat absorbing material the better as well, so likely the fan assisted radiator with a very light matrix holding very little water but massive surface area is the best option, as it can transfer the energy much faster.

Today the whole idea is to only heat a room when required, so if you finish work at 5:30 pm and it takes ½ hour to travel home either using geofencing or simple time, the heating system needs to heat the room you will use on arrival to a comfortable temperature by 6 pm. With a timed response it can have 2 hours, but with geofencing it has ½ hour to heat the room. From cold that will not happen, so it needs some holding temperature, we will call that the eco setting, so the bigger the radiator the lower the eco setting can be.

Using time we can set a sequence, for example kitchen, dinning room, living room, bedroom. When we arrive home first we use kitchen so heat kitchen first, then dinning room so we can have ¼ hour delay before it heats that room, and ½ hour delay before living room and 2 hour delay before bedroom.

But this means in that first ¼ hour we may have a 4 kW radiator and a boiler only able to turn down to 6 kW, since it needs to heat up pipe work etc ¼ hour is not a problem as the dinning room cuts in we are using maybe 8 kW so now no problem, but 1½ hours latter kitchen and dinning room as switched off again and bedroom not yet switched on, so living room needs to sink whole output of boiler.

OK not quite so cut and dried, as rooms not in use are still heated to eco setting to allow quick re-heat when required, so not actually off but reduced output, and below the boilers minimum output it simply cycles off/on. My old house had in living room a 3.5 kW Myson fan assisted radiator, a 4 kW double panel radiator and a 4.5 kW gas fire, there was no real need for geofencing or timed heating with 12 kW the room heated from cold in around 15 to 20 minutes, and the inferred output from the gas fire was there in around 4 minutes so simply switched on when I got home.

This house we are still cold in living room, but can hear the boiler cycling off/on, the boiler can produce 18 kW but the living rooms don't have enough radiator area to sink the 18 kW being produced. With an old fashion system where radiators were set simply using the lock shield valve and all rooms heated up be they require heating or not selecting radiators so all rooms have around the same temperature radiators made some sense, but today the bigger the better.

The programmable TRV can select when and by how much each room is heated as long as the boiler is running, they did cost around £10 for a non wifi/bluetooth head against £6 for non programmable, I got my bluetooth versions for £15 each, and the wifi versions were £37 each, some interconnected versions can cost £50 each, so in the main people use a mixture, to reduce costs, I got them in 3 batches, now use 9 programmable TRV's.

Even if you have no programmable TRV heads yet, as the fuel cost goes up likely you will start using them, so bigger the better for radiator output.

a radiator the width of the window may look more pleasing to the eye

it can be lower or higher, double or finned if you want

but it does not need to go under the window at all. If it does, you can't fit long curtains.

the old 1960's style of sending heat out through the window, to warm the birds or the cat sitting on the windowsill, is uneconomical and not necessary.

Sponsored Links
but it does not need to go under the window at all. If it does, you can't fit long curtains.

The trick is to mount the radiator a couple of inches from the wall. Then the curtains can be pulled shut behind the radiator. The curtain then provide some thermal insulation to keep heat from reaching the window and direct the heated air into the room.

Needs a pair of non standard mounting brackets but can be worth it to avoid convection driven draughts
upload_2022-2-28_18-57-32.png

ah, the old days of draughty, single glazed windows with no lined curtains, when cold air ran off them like a waterfall.

Once you know the minimum size then fit the most aesthecticly pleasing size to the eye and decor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back