Domestic voltages in UK / Australia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving from the UK to Western Australia soon. The domestic voltage there is 240V. Will I be able to take my electrical appliances (specifically lamps and lights ect) ????? Will it be as easy as swapping plugs over. Help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have heard that in Australia they have taken the concept of "only qualified people may mess with electrics" to ridiculous extremes, and you aren't allowed to change your own plugs.

If this is so, it might end up cheaper to buy new lights rather than pay some oz-spark to change plugs..

Yep B-A-S is right I have a cousin in Aus.

All you are allowed to do is switch things on and off and change fuses for the same value. Anything else is only to be carried out by a registered spark, and they mean it. Prosecutions are common, certainly round the Sidney area.

You'd be better buying out there and getting them fitted professionally. You won't have the same problem finding a spark out there as you do here.

Hugh

Sponsored Links
  • It is illegal to install or replace a power point, light fitting, or any appliance that requires any wiring unless you are a qualified electrician
  • Your house and contents insurance could be worthless if the insurance company finds out that any electrical work has been done without the certificate of a qualified electrical engineer
  • 33% of all house fires start from electrical faults
  • Even the pros can get hurt. 85% of qualified electricians have recieved a shock at some time in their working life

Quote from Austrailian Computer Enthuasist Forum

ryanj said:
  • Even the pros can get hurt. 85% of qualified electricians have recieved a shock at some time in their working life

Quote from Austrailian Computer Enthuasist Forum

100% of electrians clients have also received a shock .... usually when they get the bill :LOL:

put iec plugs on everything while your still in the UK then just get hold of a bunch of australian powercords when you get there

Don't recall Mr Part P suggesting 1/3 UK fires are started by electrics. Does the lack of knowledge and experience of electrics in the Australian public mean they are a lot more careless with it? Or a lot less likely to get something simple fixed if you have to fingd and pay an electrician.

The next time the plug starts to pull off the end of something, will you take it off and fix it, or just leave it because you can't be faffed to call an electrician to do it.

This kind of thing is really stupid. It is exactly the same as forbidding children to cross roads rather than giving them lessons in how to do it safely.

like i said just put iecs on everything before you go

then you can just buy powercords when you get there it adds to the versatility too as you can use the appliances anywhere you have a suitable voltage and can obtain a suitable powercord

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back