don't wanna drive anymore?

The TC on Grand cherokees goes right to pot if any of the tyres even hint they are worn, and the shock comes when you have to lay out for all four tyres at once at £180 each (£70 if you have friends in the trade)
is this the case with other makes of car with TC in that the handling is adversely affected if signs of wear are seen on any of the tyres?

Sponsored Links
Blimey, I wonder how many drive at the edge of the envelope such that they notice such small differences ... road / track surfaces change by the hour with regard to adhesion etc.
BTW £720 for a set of tyres .... Silly money ... for a pretty silly vehicle really .... the price of freedom !!
P

kendor said:
The TC on Grand cherokees goes right to pot if any of the tyres even hint they are worn, and the shock comes when you have to lay out for all four tyres at once at £180 each (£70 if you have friends in the trade)
is this the case with other makes of car with TC in that the handling is adversely affected if signs of wear are seen on any of the tyres?

Wonder how that one works? Does it brake spinning wheels to add resistance to them, but with very low thresholds so a more worn tyre ends up getting braked all the time?

Sounds like someone at Chrysler was wearing their stupid hat that morning... Either that or the chief engineer of traction control has shares in Goodyear!

I had a Toyota Avensis hirecar for a while, that used the odometer in conjuntion with the GPS system (dunno why). The manual warned that underinflated or worn tyres would upset the navigation due to decreased rolling diameter.

i had a friend with a volvo awd estate & was advised never to replace only 1 tyre but all 4 as the 4wd system needs even tread depth on all 4 tyres :eek:
quite fine tolerence then :rolleyes:
f that for a game of soldiers,rarther have front wheel drive & just replace the front 2 (saab advised every 5k for the hot aero :eek: )225 pilot tyres,have not priced them up yet but will definatley keep the traction control ON.

Sponsored Links
Depends how often you boot it. If you are a gentle driver who then sits at constant speed and brakes slowly then they should last just as long as any other car. You seldom use all the horsepower available to you.

However, if you like to razz the car everywhere, your tyres will wear out quicker!

The first set of front tyres on my Dad's ST220 lasted about 5K I believe, but the second set have lasted much longer.

250 bhp front wheel drive =mega torque steer just pulling away slowly,in my old 20v vw with 125 bhp i had to struggle to keep up with other cars.you know how it is when mr dick on a roundabout to your right pulls of without signalling :evil: you just shout obcenities & boot it?now i'm really struggling to drive it normally.vw=0-60 11 secs.now its 6.5 secs :confused:

You know, having a faster car could lead to more stress!

I found this on Sunday. I was driving down from Middlesborough on the A1, so had all the bits where it was 10 miles of road then a roundabout, 10 miles of road then a roundabout and so on. The speed of the traffic didn't bother me, after all the limit is 70, I am happy to drive at 70. What caused me much stress and anguish was the time it took for others to accelerate.

My car is not particularly powerful or fast, and I don't generally boot it. However some people seem to apply the weight of a feather to their accelerator pedal. So you end up sitting behind them, waiting for them to pull their finger out or move over. But of course they do neither. They are perfectly happy to accelerate with all the vigour and elan of a tortoise. They don't care that others want to reach 70mph before 2005.

If I had a car that does 0-60 in 6.5, I would forever be muttering "Get out of my way you to**er". :LOL:

What I really need is a car with a louder horn and a cattleguard...

0-60 times are immaterial in real life.the only cars i see overtaking then jamming on their brakes before a junction are p reg vectras/mondeos etc.....its never your nice audi tt/bmw m3/jag ?probably because they have nothing to prove.but it does bring a smile to my lips thinking that the only real race would be from a subaru wrx/mitsubishi evo but unless you're called micheal and german and drive a red car then you might stand a chance ;)

I dunno, there are quite a few very quick cars on the road at the moment. One that springs to mind is the Alfa 156 GTA. On paper it is even faster than the Aero: 0-62 in 6.2s by virtue of a 3.2l V6 in a Focus-sized car. It devalues even quicker! ;)

Given two equally matched cars the deciding factors are 1) driver ability 2) driver confidence. Someone who doesn't care about thrashing or crashing (or think they never will) in a less powerful car can beat a more powerful car where the driver is scared of crashing it. At the same time, someone who doesn't know when and how to change gear will lose time over someone who changes perfectly.

Schumacher in a 1.6 Focus could probably beat any of us in a 1.8 or 2.0 Focus, providing his racing skills transfer across of course.

Did anyone see on TV a few years back where they had a race between Coultard in his McLaren Mercedes F1, someone in an AMG and someone in an A-Class? The A-Class got a head start over the AMG, the AMG over the F1. F1 still won and had time to humiliate the other cars a bit. :LOL:

the alfa 156 is an out and out sports coupe.the saab is an estate with 5 doors.no turbo badges on it just a discreet T on the rocker cover as opposed to the standard t on other models.ultimate stealth car me thinks.
2 adults,2 kids,dog in back.weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :p

You could have some real fun with that, especially with the old "pull over to let them try and overtake at the bottom of the long upwards slope" gag.

Not to mention you can bring back stuff from IKEA at 155mph now!

Of course, you are more likely to be delivered in a meat wagon !!
The odds are rapidly shortening.
Sick as it may seem, I guess we had better open a book on Ohmy surviving the winter ..... intact !! Could be necessary to curb his exploits in the Swedebasher ;)

BTW Ohmy, any Drakens travelled in formation wiv you of late ?
I wonder if the 'Loadsa money' character was referring to Ohmy in that supermarket advert of the past. ;)

the car in question is on a 01 plate.cost 12k with 59000 on the clock so nearly run in.paid above book but could only find 4 in the u.k. will see 250k without problems.apart from the occasional turbo :oops: 12k between services,only do 4k a year so should'nt break the bank.no timing belt just a maintenence free chain.i paid my money so i'll take my chance. :)

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
the car in question is on a 01 plate.cost 12k with 59000 on the clock so nearly run in.paid above book but could only find 4 in the u.k. will see 250k without problems.apart from the occasional turbo :oops: 12k between services,only do 4k a year so should'nt break the bank.no timing belt just a maintenence free chain.i paid my money so i'll take my chance. :)

You are of course saying it will be serviced once a year, isn't it 12k or 1 year ?
I was amazed in the old days when I had an oil temp guage, with a blanking plate over the oil cooler in winter, would take about 7 miles driving before oil temp was at the normal range ... that in a car which tended to run a little toward the hot side anyway.
;)

i was stuck in that jam on A1 as well, I went past it at 7.30am northbound no problem. two chaps digging a hole, probably more police there to close the road.
On the way home about 4-5pm there was a sign saying use A14/M11 and the A1 was instantly empty! Took an hour to do the detor through WGC.

Sponsored Links
Back