Don't want wallpaper!

Personally, I don't like plastering or skimming new plasterboard. It's perfectly flat as it is! All you need to do is fill the screw heads and tape and joint the joints between the boards. If you haven't done this before, get advice! It's tricky the first time around!

Sponsored Links
Is there any difference between wallboard and plasterboard?

Just been down to my local Wickes store, and they've got wallboard for sale, which has a paper-like surface. When i paint on this will it look/feel smooth? Which type of paint do i have to use?

BTW sorry for sounding a bit thick here, but i've never done this before!!

They are the same thing. It is papery. Once you have taped, jointed and sanded the wall, dust it down and give it one coat of emulsion thinned down with water (not sure what the exact mix should be, but I tend to try and stick to about 50/50) which will make sure the next coat sticks properly. Then select any paint suitable for walls. I tend to use a satin because it feels and looks nice. (Don't use an oil based gloss or anything like that!)

The only problem with overboarding the wall with plasterboards is that you will have to remove all of the skirting boards and when you reach a door or window you will have to remove the architrave and then refix on top of the boards which will mean you will see the ends of the boards lining the opening. It can be filled and rubbed down smooth so it is not the end of the world but it's just something to bear in mind. For the extra cost and labour involved in the boarding option it won't look noticably different than using lining paper.

Sponsored Links
Too true! I didn't find it that tricky because I was replacing doors, frames and skirting anyway. At the windows I pulled off the plaster (which was loose anyway) so that the board didn't sit too close to the inside edge of the frame. I even replaced the cills in some rooms because that looked crap as well!

At first i thought about knocking all of the existing plaster off the wall, then i thought.... **** that ;)

I'm gonna be replacing all of the doors, skirting and window sills anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back