Door locking with an automatic door opener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I have this electric automatic door opener fitted on a front UPVC door to my house to help me get in and out (wheelchair user). When the door opener was fitted, they disabled the outside door handle so that the door cannot be opened from outside by anyone just pulling the handle down. This is great and more secure for me, BUT, now I cannot engage the DEADLOCK (IE - lifting the handle up) from the outside when leaving the house.

So my question is - are there exterior door handles/locking mechanisms that allow upward movement (so as to engage the deadlock) but not downwards? If so, what are they called?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need either a split spindle fitted or you can get slam lock multipoints that lock when the door is pulled shut

Sounds like the split spindle is what I need then, thanks. Will this also allow the door to be opened from the outside with a key? I dont just mean disengaging the deadlock, but also retracting the tongue so the door can be pushed open? Because currently it doesnt! Which isnt great if I need to get in and the door opener isnt working!

You will need the key to operate the latch to get back in as the hanle will not move the latch

Sponsored Links
Surely you'll also need to change the mechanism for a split follower type for the split spindle to work ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back