Door security - double or triple glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If getting an external house door installed which would have a perimeter uPVC frame and be fully glazed with one pane of glass (so no strengthening horizontal/vertical uPVC bars), would the security of the door be improved to any great extent if it was tripled glazed as opposed to double glazed?

The rest of the house would have double-glazed windows.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
None at all.

If your worried about security then ask for the outer pane to be laminated glass, like a windscreen it'll hold together if someone attempts to pop it, toughened would just pop and fall to the ground, do that to both panes and they'll just walk in

If your worried about security then ask for the outer pane to be laminated glass, like a windscreen it'll hold together if someone attempts to pop it
That's a good idea.

toughened would just pop and fall to the ground, do that to both panes and they'll just walk in
Do you mean do not have the glass toughened?

I had thought the glass must be toughened, by regulation, if it is full-length in a door as is the case here.

Sponsored Links
No he means laminated for the outer pane, toughened inner pane.

Okay.

If the outer pane is laminated, would there any point in also laminating the inner pane? Or perhaps this would not comply with regulations in any case?

Doors will in most cases require safety glass to meet regs, either toughened glass (which shatters like car door glass), or Laminated glass (like windscreens) both comply with regs, its entirely your choice whether you have both laminated or just the outer, doing both may have implications though due to weight and the hinges, there is also the issue with low E glass only being available on clear flat glass and not textured patterned glass, this also throws up a few head scratching moments too, I'm sure they'll be others on here tonight who will explain what I mean

In the mean time I'm off out for a meal ;)

its entirely your choice whether you have both laminated or just the outer, doing both may have implications though due to weight and the hinges,
I had thought laminating both would increase the weight.

there is also the issue with low E glass only being available on clear flat glass and not textured patterned glass
The glass in the door would all be clear, not patterened or textured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back