Door size discrepancy

K-O

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been trying to accurately measure against a door for a while now. The issue is that all of my tape measures are giving its height as 196cm (6'5"). This is in spite of all sources on the internet telling me that a UK door should almost always measure 6'6" (198cm) in length (and this is a Wickes moulded door, which is explicitly advertised as being 6'6" on their website- http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wobu...ite-Primed-Smooth-6-Panel-1981x762mm/p/190911)

I can't get any further forward until this issue is resolved. I can't use the tape measures in my house with any degree of confidence as I'm convinced they're 2cm wide of the mark- I doubt the door is meant to be 6'5 as I have a friend who has been measured at that height by his doctor and can walk through them without having to duck his head.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a 1981 high door with a bit lopped off. Maybe DIY isn't for you?

I needed a new door for an opening in my house, coincidentally I have a friend who is a hobbit and the door opening showed that he could just fit through it without having to duck, so I went to a door shop and asked for a hobbit sized door to fit but they looked at me like I was mad.

All I can say is that I can't remember seeing any tape, including cheapy ones that was 25mm out over 2000 mm. If you have a decent make of tape there, like a Stanley or something then use that.
I can't see the doors being that far out. It is a new door you have that hasn't been trimmed to fit somewhere else?

All I can say is that I can't remember seeing any tape, including cheapy ones that was 25mm out over 2000 mm. If you have a decent make of tape there, like a Stanley or something then use that.
I can't see the doors being that far out. It is a new door you have that hasn't been trimmed to fit somewhere else?

Top of the door doesn't show any visible signs of having been cut down prominently. It's about half a cm under the bottom of the doorframe at most.

It was fitted over 10 years ago. It's my bedroom door. I'm as confused as you are that it's measuring a full inch or so below the mark conventional wisdom tells me it should.

Sponsored Links
It could have been cut at the bottom. TBH though the door opening, and hence the door could be any size. Measure it. :)
If you have a door there, what's your actual problem? Are you going to replace it? If so you are very limited to the amount that can be taken off that type of door without replacing the core from the part you have cut off.
If you are unsure about measurement though, you may be better off getting someone to do it for you.

Possibly someone who doesn't like you has replaced your tape measure with one that has larger inches?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back