Door solutions for 3.5m span

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for any suggestions for a door solution for the eves of an attic conversion across a 3.5m span.

I was considering a bi-fold door solution, making my own doors and purchasing the hardware so that the whole span could be opened up if desired making the whole floorspace usable. However the only solutions I can find are for large doors and are therefore prohibitively expensive. The height of the doors are only 500mm.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to avoid anything that will permanently obstruct the floorspace.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the doors are only 500mm high and in the attic I'm assuming they are for storage? If you want something that can be easily removed if needs be how about just using mdf panels on magnetic clips?

Thanks for the reply.

So, some magnets at the top of the doors? Just pull away the doors to access the cupboard area?

Any ideas how I would support them?

Sponsored Links
There are a couple of ways. At the top a strip of timber to act as a "rebate" for the doors to sit against with the mag catches fixed to it.
At the bottom you could have again a strip with catches or if you want a unhindered floor you could always go with locating lugs on the doors and small holes in the floor into which the lugs fit.
And, to keep everything simple and as compact as possible I'd have finger holes in the doors rather than handles.
Funnily enough I've got this planned in my attic area as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back