Doors - which paint to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of repainting some doors inside the house. They are a light wood but have had a dark mahogany stain/varnish placed over them. I am going to paint them white.

I've already taken one door and used Nitromors Door Strip. The stripped door is much lighter but still dark. (Can supply photo's if needed). I've not taken it back down to the bare wood.

What paint do I use? I mentioned my DIY task to a friend at work and he said he had similar doors and just sanded them lightly and used one coat Dulux Satinwood.

Do I need to put primer on the doors, or can I just use One Coat Satinwood once the initial varnish has been taken off with the Nitromors? I don't particularly want the stain/varnish to come through.

Any advice would be really appreciated. I'm not very good at decorating, but want to do a good job on these doors.

Sponsored Links
Do I need to put primer on the doors, or can I just use One Coat Satinwood once the

No...they must be primed

If you really feel they need striping take them to a place that will do em for you..........shouldnt cost more than a tenner per door..and it cuts out the cost and aggravation of doing them yourself.

Failing that, give them a really good sanding down...medium grade first then fine, this will provide a key, which is essential when painting over stained/varnished wood........then give them a coat of dulux super grip primer, or melamine primer, this will 'prime the surface for subsequent coats of paint....then apply either two coats of undercoat and one gloss......or two coats of satin finish.

The one coat paints are not as good as they make out, thats why they arnt used very much by proffessionals.

I got some primer (Dulux Primer and Undercoat). Its worked a treat, and I'm putting two layers of Satinwood on top.

Thanks for the advice.

peteruk said:
I got some primer (Dulux Primer and Undercoat). Its worked a treat, and I'm putting two layers of Satinwood on top.

Thanks for the advice.

Pete.....sounds like you have bought acrylic primer undercoat......you need super grip primer....its made for difficult surfaces.

Sponsored Links
Hi Zampa,

Damn, already painted it. :confused:

The primer I used was (just get the tin...)

Interior & Exterior Use
Quick Dry (2 hours) Primer & Undercoat
For Wood

I let this dry, and then put 2 coats of Satinwood on top.

The process for each door was to strip it down as much as possible with Nitromors Door Strip, then sand it (medium and then fine), then prime it, undercoat it and then 2 coats of paint.

Pete, your ok with the acrylic primer undercoat, I was under the impression that you had left the stain/varnish on the doord therefore you would have needed a coating such as super grip to adhere to the surface.

You dont need to sand the doors so much before applying the primer/undercoat as the grain will fur up once you have painted them anyway....this will then need sanding.

Good luck, any more probs feel free to contact me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back