Dorma Wall Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I removed some old plasterboard from the external vertical wall in my bathroom on the top floor (loft conversion). Behind the plasterboard there was some Styrofoam insulation which had a couple of wasps nests embedded in it and so needed to be removed. The brown paper behind that also had holes and also needs replacing. Behind the paper are the hanging clay tiles on wooden batons. I just want to check what I should replace these with; I assume the paper is breather membrane? I was thinking of stapling a new breather membrane from the inside as can't do it from the outside? Then I was thinking of putting some SIPS Panels between the joists followed by some foil based water resistant plasterboard. Do I need to put in a vapour barrier as well? Any tips and advice would be much appreciated?

Sponsored Links
The brown paper is most likely a breather membrane you can maybe get away from doing on the inside but tape around the edges. Any insulation like cellotex or kingspan give it a 25mm air gap. Not sure if your plasterboard is fixed to the. Dormer studs or there is another 25mm insulation then plasterboard with a vcl if the plasterboard is foil backed then you don't need a VCL as the foil is the VCL also is the plasterboard directly above the bath or shower if it is you need Moisture resistant plasterboard ( it's not water resistant) if not then ordinary foil backed plasterboard is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back