Loft & Dorma Insulation Conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

been lurking for a few years I suppose but so far Ive been able to find topics or google info to help me get over most things.

Im finding that searches on how to go about insulating my loft are bring up some conflicting info, I hope you can guide me in to doing it the right way.

Picture:

What you looking at in the first picture is what I think is a previous owners bodge job of insulating the roof. They have put or rather, squashed, 4inch insulation into the 3 inch roof timbers and stapled it back with cardboard.

Questions:

Should I remove this as even though there is a air gap between the roof lath and insulation should there not be a waterproof membrane between them?

You can also see polystyrene chunks n the floor, I discovered these when removing the chipboard flooring. Is this stuff safe. Can I just remove the insulation on the roof and lay it on top?

Do I need to leave a air gap as there is currently one in the eaves?

If it ok to lay the existing insulation in the roof over the polystyrene I plan to also put it in the timber uprights that frame out the dorma, To hold this back I was thinking over using that silver foiled bubble wrap stuff. Is it any good or a waste of money.

Last question, in places the insualtion has gone a darker in colour, why?

What that all about?

Thanks for reading and I look foward to some straight talking advise.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back