dormer bunglow upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We moved into a dormer bunglow about a year ago and last year it was freezing.
Now we have put 200mm of insulation in the roof.

The bedrooms would have been square but walls have been cut into to make kind of built in wardrobes.
Inside the cut out area they have insulated against the roof and plasterboard over it.

Last year we left these gaps open, but now have put sliding door across them.

They bedroom is warming mainly due to the doors.

Is there any other products that I could put against the walls inside the cut out area (ie insulation foil or a layer of insulation (space blanket)) to keep it even warmer.

Also is it worth putting a layer of insulation foil on top of the insulation in the roof.

I have seen these wonder paint that is suppose to keep rooms warmer.
Any comments?

Any help would be very much welcome and appreciated.

Sponsored Links
charliepowell
I know how you feel, I'm in the same boat as you. There is no simple solution I'm afraid
There are several areas that need to be looked at.

Dormer roofs- I'm assuming flat. These will prob have a 3" void with little or no insulation. You can usually gain access via the loft and stuff/poke fibreglass type insulation in using a broomhead type arrangement.

Loft- Insulate to a minimum of 270mm using fibreglass type insulation.

Slopes- Same as dormer roof.

Dormer walls and sides(cheeks?)- If studwork, remove plasterboard and fill with celotex type insulation. if blockwork, like mine, I will be "sticking" celotex to the outsideof the wall, which is inside the slope underneath your dormer windows.

Care should be taken not to insulate electric cable as it could overload them and cause problems. I'm not an electrician.

I'm sure using foil/space blanket would have an effect, but it's not aparticularly long term solution as it would be less durable in a room/wardrobe than a plaster finish.

Hope this helps.

Nick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back