Dormer extension on front elevation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping somone can help.

We live in a 2007 built chalet bungalow. The front rooms upstairs have severely sloping ceilings and also both have 4 feet wide dormers. One is bedroom and one is bathroom.

We are looking to increase the size of the dormers to create a single dormer to make the rooms square with a flat ceiling.We are to use same as existing roof tiles with a facny bevelled roof and flat roof tiles on front and sides to blend in.

The guidance I can find refers to "roof extensions" and placing new dormers on roofs where there are none.

As this is facing the road it looks as though we cannot rely on permitted developement rights.

Is it possible that as we already have dormers, extending them will be PD or does it make no difference?

Any ideas

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is no PD for front dormers, having them on the rear is irrelevant. In fact as you have a newish house you have probably had PD rights removed anyway. Furthermore front dormers rarely get planning permission nowadays, especially on a newish development.

Thanks Freddy.

A couple of things. We haven't had development rights removed and we don't have dormers on the rear hence me not mentioning the rear.

We already have dormers on the front which we are hoping to make a bit bigger.

However, you did say that there are no PD rights on the front so I guess that answers my question.

Ahh OK didn't realise you meant on the front but in any case still no PD. I guess your chance of extending them a little is better than if you had no dormers at all, could be worth a punt! If you DIY the application it will cost about £175. As your house is 2007 you would also likely be able to find the existing plans/elevations online.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Freddy

I have all the plans etc so I will do as you say and put in and application and see what happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back