planning permision regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a chalet style house with a large dormer in the sloping roof at the front. I applied for a 2 storey side extension which failed. i then spoke to council with regards what i needed to do to obtain permission these changes were made but now they are saying existing dormer looks to big can i make smaller or make 2 dormers, both these options are totally impractible. I dont want to resubmit until i am confident it should pass. my question is can they fail an application based on an existing feature which is not being changed or included within the new extension

Sponsored Links
Was the existing dormer a later addition to the roof, or was the house built with it?
If it was a later addition, was it built without planning permission?

Yes as far as i am aware this is original. I have been here for 25 years.

at the moment it has a flat roof, i was thinking of adding hip roof to the planning application would that make any difference as to wether it is relevant or not

They can't refuse your application based on an existing element of the house, however they can object to the change of the roof as it is part of the front elevation of the house.

Sponsored Links
i'm really curious as to how one goes about putting a dormer on a flat roof...

the refusal was partially to do with the rear of the extension which i then revised also to do with not centralised windows in the front of the new extension also i had said front to be rendered white was not inkeeping with the houses in this section of the road, there was no mention at all about the existing dormer. Ithen asked what I needed to do to resubmit and made the necessary alterations, sent the drawing , this seemed to satisfy all the reasons for refusal but came back with
The existing dormer is a little problematic as I understand that the dormer is essentially one of the bedrooms. However, it is very prominent on the front elevation; is it possible to either reduce itor replace with 2 dormers?
I explained this was not practical they wrote back saying
I think, at this stage, that it would be best to assess under a resubmission of an application where all aspects can be looked at

Iam concerned i resubmit and they still refuse

from case officers report - reasons for refusal

The introduction of the first floor element of the extension creates a large gable feature
which would create a discordant feature to the front elevation. This is coupled with
uneven fenestration to the extension with the windows not matching on the first and
The proposed extensions and alterations, by reason of their poor design, uneven
fenestation, and overlarge gable, would result in an incongruous and uneven
feature that would not properly integrate into the existing dwelling and would
detract from the character and appearance of the dwelling house and also the
character of the locality. The proposed development is thereby contrary to
policies Ho9, Ho13 and Ho16 of the Reigate and Banstead Borough Local Plan
2005 and the adopted SPG on Householder Extensions and Alterations 2004.
2. The proposed extension, by reason of its , height and bulk in close proximity to
3the adjacent property, would result in an overly dominant form of development
and create an overbearing effect as well as loss of light to the neighbouring
property at 57 London Road South. The proposal would thereby be contrary to
the adopted Reigate and Banstead Borough Local Plan 2005 policies Ho9, Ho13
and Ho16 and the provisions of the National Planning Policy Framework and the
Adopted SPG: Householder Extensions and Alterations 2004.

because of the above I rang the council and asked what I needed to change, I received email as follows

My views on the design are as follows;

1) There is a consistent use of brick and tile in this stretch of the road so I would avoid introducing the use of render as harmful to local distinctiveness.

2) The windows are odd and would benefit from a more even distribution of vertical casements instead of the big plate glass gaps.

3) The placement of windows is odd with the large lower window too close to the edge of the roof creating an unsettling design.

4) Given the increase in the prominence of the roof plain tiles would be preferred to fit in with the adjacent properties.

5) The eaves would benefit from lower eaves to the same height as existing at the back.

Overall a more orderly and even distribution of vertically divided windows, with the use of brick and tile to match the adjacent buildings would respect the character palette and form found in the street.

this reply made no mention of overshadowing next doors conservatory so i made alterations to accomodate the above and sent of revised drawing and asked if this should now be able to get planning permission thats when i got reply about existing dormer.

I can see what you are trying to acheive and what the planning officer is concerned about. The pitch roof on the dormer ties in with the extension but as the dormer is large is becomes overly dominant - leave this as a flat roof as it is not essential in your scheme. Two storey side elevations should appear to be subservient to the original dwelling but I know that is not always practical. Perhaps a change of materials or a slight step back at first floor level or an overall reduction would be more appealing. Centralise the fenestration on the new extension. In its current form, I would refuse it.

Thankyou for your comments. I have reduced the size unfortunately it is not practicle to do anything between this and the large layout. Do you think this would now pass

Thanks
[/img]

That looks better in terms of responding to the reason for refusal, it almost looks too subservient.

I would email the planning officer the drawing and ask for some feedback prior to a formal resubmission. Planning officers tend to be much more willing to talk about a scheme once you have paid your application fee and they are up to speed with your site. Planning departments are judged/monitored/funded on the number of applications they process, so with you they will have two! If you do not get an email back, just give them a call and discuss it informally with them asking if they still have any concerns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back