detached dormer bungalow Permitted Development

Sponsored Links
yep i've read the regs inside out and in no place does it explicitly state that you can't join onto an existing structure - i think as long as building regs are ok then we are fine. Potentially we could also create an internal doorway into the garage. The only rule that affects us is because of the 2 storey element then the maximum rear extension is 3 metres for the whole extension. Got a meeting with the architect on Friday as we will also need a fair few internal alterations -
Making an open plan kitchen/diner/living room in the rear extension
Shifting the upstairs layout around to create a larger bathroom upstairs within the new dormer.
The rest will stay pretty much the same - though it would be nice to shift the stairs as they are a bit odd at the moment being in the front living room.

I'd be tempted to run the proposal by the LPA duty officer - if they still have such a thing. I agree that the part of the dormer that projects out over the ground floor extension may need to be hipped - but I doubt they'd be fussed if the extension joined the garage.

My wife works for the council but they are always incredibly busy thanks to the cuts - may have to bite the bullet and pay the £50 consultation fee.
In terms of the extension yes I've just read "Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house." so technically you could do a mansard style extension and still comply with the spirit of PD?

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-20_14-0-34.png
    upload_2016-1-20_14-0-34.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
They like the pitch to be the same but you might be able to nudge them towards a mansard on the return elevation - it might look a bit weird though

It's not the prettiest house in the first place!! We want to move in quickly and getting planning permission will cause a delay we can't really afford. Also as the roof is pitched differently anway we might have a chance. As you all suggest best speak to the planners. Thanks for all the comments!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back