Permitted Development and Planning Permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have applied for planning for a new roof on a bungalow, higher than the original, and 2 dormers one at the front one at the rear. The planning officer has hinted, but not confirmed, that I could do the roof and front dormer with planning permission but use permitted development to do the rear dormer. My architect thinks this is wrong and once planning is involved then the whole project is controlled by planning. Anyone had any experience of this or no of a regulation that supports one or other theory.
The rear dormer has been refused permission but the planning are saying remove the rear dormer from the plans and use PD rights to build it.. all very confusing!

Sponsored Links
I would be interested to hear your architect's reasoning because it sounds to me from the little information provided that you could do the rear under PD.

Yes there's no rules against rear dormers, you can build some almighty monstrosities without PP. Normally it's the front dormers that are refused though!

Unless the Planners are being cheeky and are gonna put a condition on the grant of approval removing PD rights! :evil:

Sponsored Links
If it's all part of the same project, then it's always best to include everything on a single application to avoid confusion when selling, or when permission for certain development needs to be proved.

You would only do work separately under PD if it would not be granted permission if applied for - as stated by the planner

Just be aware that for roof alterations under permitted development, then you are only allowed to add up to a maximum of 50 cubic metres of space (from the original roof) If you use all your "allocation" of cubic metres up by adding a higher roof and adding front dormers, then you need to be careful as the rear dormer may not fall within permitted development, (exceeding the allowance) thus requiring permission.

Worth bearing in mind

LukeB, I'm not sure that it's right to include that volume (the 'planning permission volume') within the PD allowance. Imagine if you got Planning Permission for the front dormers. You would still have the right to build the back dormer under PD. Any condition attached to a Planning Application is only brought into effect by the commencement of works under that permission - which is why 'Conditions Precedent' are, for the most part, a bit of a nonsense.

Last edited:
Ok... so imagine I got planning permission to build the new roof and front dormer and that was completed would I then immediately after be able to build the rear dormer under PD? Or is there a time period after one lot of works finishing before you could say 'that's existing' now I can extend by 50m cubed..
Thanks for all your thoughts.

There's no time limit. But permissions sometimes include conditions to restrict the future use of permitted development rights - meaning that technically you would have to enact your rights under PD before enacting the planning permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back