Exercising permitted development rights following planning permission.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This leads on from a previous thread.

In a nutshell I've put in to extend a bungalow and fit both front and rear dormers. I've been advise by the LPA that the development requires planning consent and that the rear dormer would most likely be refused. However, they also said if it wasn't for other parts of the development requiring planning the rear dormer could be installed under permitted development.

So what I want to know is could I fit the rear dormer anyway under permitted development once the planning permission was granted for the other work?

Sponsored Links
Doubt it, the consent would be on the basis of the submitted plans, if they change you are not implementing the permission as granted. But I'm no expert, and would it not be wise to seek the views of the local council before embarking on what could be very expensive enforced demolition if things go wrong.

Blup

I think my view would be contrary to that of Blup - but we would need more details of the planning application / proposal.

Is the only reason they are refusing the application the rear dormer? also what "other work" are you going to be granted permission for?

You need to be making sure you aren't attaching to other parts of the approved development with your permitted rear dormer and also that you are not exceeding the total volume on the increase of the roofspace, considering all the other works and your permitted development dormer combined.

If so, you should be fine getting approval and then building it, or building it first and then getting approval (although I would probably go with the former and not the latter)

PD rights remain unless removed.

Work can be done under PD as long as you keep to the criteria - in this case you can add a rear dormer to an unaltered existing roof, but you could not add it to a new extension roof.

Normally it safer to do any contentious work under PD and do it first. But when submitting a subsequent planning applicatrion its not all plain sailing, as part of the assessment is how the new work will fit in with the existing building - including any PD additions.

Sponsored Links
The original bungalow has a pitched roof with two gable ends. The (original) proposal was to extend both ends and the rear. The rear roof would be extended up by about 500 and back to cover the rear extension with the two side extensions having hipped roof up to the new ridge height and matching the revised roof planes. The proposal also included individual pitched roof dormers to the front and a flat roof dormer at the rear.

The LPA don't like the rear dormer so I've deleted it and gone for a few much smaller roof lights and although the planning assistant agrees the remainder looks fine his boss is a bit of a stickler apparently so there are no guarantees when it comes to the final determination.

With only the front dormers and raised ridge, the headroom in the proposed first floor living space will be severely compromised (perhaps OK for a youngster but not a 6ft adult). The annoying thing is that planning consent was granted for a rear dormer a year or so before the house behind was granted permission to be built but the council say that has little or no bearing on my application, too long ago.

If I ditched raising the rear roof, fitted a flat roof over the rear extension, built the side extensions with hipped roofs matching the existing roof planes and installed the front dormers would PD be available for a rear dormer at a later date provide it didn't extend over the rear extension?.

One added complication is that the bungalow might be on a corner plot but that can only be determined by a legal review but for now I have to assume it is a corner plot.

If I ditched raising the rear roof, fitted a flat roof over the rear extension, built the side extensions with hipped roofs matching the existing roof planes and installed the front dormers would PD be available for a rear dormer at a later date provide it didn't extend over the rear extension?.

Should be - see mine / woodys previous responses. The only thing you need to check, as I mentioned before, is that you don't exceed the cubic volume allowances by any alterations creating roofspace.

One added complication is that the bungalow might be on a corner plot but that can only be determined by a legal review but for now I have to assume it is a corner plot.

Shouldn't matter too much regarding a rear dormer, as long as you are comfortable where the established "rear" of the property is.

It's just a minor point.. As long as you are clearly adding a rear dormer and not a side dormer (depending on the layout and orientation of the house / roof - based on your corner plot comment)

The ridge runs side to side not front to back. The dormer would go in the roof slop opposite the principle elevation containing the front door, which fronts onto a side road. One side elevation (gable end with patio door) fronts main road but has small patch of land owned by someone else between it and the main road but that patch of land only spans part of the corner curve, hence the possible legal review.

The rear roof would be extended up by about 500 and back to cover the rear extension with the two side extensions

Not sure 100% what you mean by this... but if you are raising the roof to the rear you can't then insert a dormer into it later under PD as it won't be the line of the original roof.

The original plan was to build a 1200 deep full width rear ground floor extension and to raise the existing roof up and back to provide a pitched roof over that extension. The new thinking is to scrap raising the roof and, with the exception of installing front dormers, to only build that which does not alter the original roof profile thus leaving PD available for the rear dormer, subject to the 50m3 limit. I guess if the plans to raise the roof get passed I'll have to apply to have them amended to leave where it is.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back