Permitted development with existing side extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I wish to do a rear one/two storey extension on my corner plot semi detached property.

The house has an existing side (kitchen) extension that is flush with the rear of the main house and set back 3m at the front. This was done through planning permission (not PD) many years ago

A couple of questions:

1) AM i able to extend along the whole length of the rear of the property (including side extension) under PD or am i only able to go as far as the width of the original house/footprint? (As otherwise it would be extending the width by more than half the width of the ‘property’?)

2) Can i go to a second storey as long as its 2m from my boundary with neighbour and then single storey for the rest of the width? (See red outline on photo)

3) If i am unable to go full length (including side extension) I guess I could always apply for PP for this at a later date after id done the PD single/double storey extension at back of original property? This way would avoid the 45 degree rule etc?

A couple of photos

THanks

J

Attachments

• 9571C052-7CD9-4DC3-A326-9ED8808A72DE.jpeg
    9571C052-7CD9-4DC3-A326-9ED8808A72DE.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 3C75E67A-363A-442F-97E5-014AEAF998AF.jpeg
    3C75E67A-363A-442F-97E5-014AEAF998AF.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1) AM i able to extend along the whole length of the rear of the property (including side extension) under PD or am i only able to go as far as the width of the original house/footprint? (As otherwise it would be extending the width by more than half the width of the ‘property’?) No, can't do this under PD. For the reason you state.

2) Can i go to a second storey as long as its 2m from my boundary with neighbour and then single storey for the rest of the width? (See red outline on photo) Yes you can, with the added parameter that the first floor can only be 3m deep.

3) If i am unable to go full length (including side extension) I guess I could always apply for PP for this at a later date after id done the PD single/double storey extension at back of original property? This way would avoid the 45 degree rule etc? That is a common tactic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back