Permitted development question!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need help trying to figure out if my project is a permitted development application.

We are proposing to build a full width single storey extension, extending up to 6 meters to the rear of a terraced / semi detached residential building in an area that doesn't fall under Article 4(2).

The original building already has a 2 storey side extension, same depth as original building, that got planning approval on 1st July 1948-1986 (i.e. no details available online).

The new single storey extension proposes to span the full width of the rear of the property, including to the rear of the existing 2 storey side extension.

Is this permitted development?

Any advice much appreciated!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 17.29.16.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 17.29.16.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 272
Sponsored Links
No, because the extended part of the building would form a side extension greater than half the width of the original building.

What you need is a silly alleyway to separate new extension from existing.

...or apply for PP

Just saw your reference to 1948. Not sure how that would affect you, 1948 being the cut-off.

If the extension was done after planning started in 1948, its not original.

PD only allows you to build the width of the house excluding the 2 storey part.

Sponsored Links
Hi Notch7 - This is what I was afraid of :(

So - a single storey rear extension to the 'original building' would be allowed under PD - as shown by blue box in diagram attached - and nothing can be built inside the green box under PD - such as a single storey rear extension ?

What do I do if I want a full width single storey rear extension to the original building and to the side extension?? Householder planning application?? I am then concerned that the 45 degree rule will come into force and planning refused due to blocking neighbours light - whereas permitted development doesn't take the 45 degree rule into account.

Another thing that may or may not be relevant, is that the proposed single storey rear extension was intended to replace an existing old conservatory spanning full width of the rear of the existing building and side extension.

This conservatory had planning approved with conditions in the 80's. I don't know if it makes any difference that we want to replace the conservatory footprint with the new extension??

Attachments

277.4 KB · Views: 262
    261.1 KB · Views: 236
Hi again!

I have come to the conclusion that there are 2 options to apply for approvals:

1)
- the rear extension - outlined in blue - could be a permitted development application requiring 'notification of a proposed larger house' to the Council.
- the rear extension - outlined in green - would need to be a separate householder planning application.

As the householder wants the extension to match materials and style with the original building, this may be the best route.
A lawful development certificate would then be needed for the PD part of the extension.

OR

2) rear extension - outlined in blue & green - apply for householder planning application?

Logistically - which would you choose :?::?:

All advice much appreciated! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-18.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-18.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 261
When Planning Permission is required, most councils tend to set limits on rearward extension - 3m seems to be a common figure. So if you wish to build right across the back (requiring P.P.) I suspect that you would be looking at around 3m maximum projection.
To go out up to 6m, you would need to use the Prior Notification scheme and hope neither the neighbours each side, nor anyone at the back, complains. Using this route, you could not build in the green area.
If you get a 6m extension, there is nothing to stop you later applying for P.P. to infill the green area, but you would need to have substantially completed the P.D. 6m extension first.

Thanks for your feedback tony1851 - that makes sense to me.

I have read through the technical guidance on Permitted Development (again) and section A.1 (g) sets out what you have said.
I.e. An extension with a rear projection of 3m and full width of the original house would not be PD or PP and would fall under a Neighbourhood Consultation Scheme.

It's tricky because you can probably extend in stages, under PD, and end up with an extension that would have needed PP if built in one go.
I'm sure this is not new to many, but I'm quite shocked by it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back