Pub Quiz - Permitted Development Side Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a bit of fun. I stumbled across this planning application this morning.

History- detached property with single storey wrap around garage/study/breakfast room extension 1989 and two storey side extension on other side 2009. Both had planning permission granted, no conditions and PD rights intact.

Proposal- demolish breakfast room and rear of garage to 1989 extension and build new kitchen extension.

Is this permitted development?

I will tell you what the planning department decided tomorrow. (Just to clarify for Woody - the extension does not have wheels)

View media item 105659View media item 105660

Sponsored Links
From my very limited understanding, I'd say yes. But don't ask me why, as I'm not sure I could justify it.

Drat, no wheels, and no scope to "do what you like". :rolleyes:

It's difficult without a drawing but I'd suggest that it would be PD

Drat, no wheels, and no scope to "do what you like". :rolleyes:

It's difficult without a drawing but I'd suggest that it would be PD

Yep no need to worry about roof height etc. so I did not bother with elevations. It is just the situation of demolishing part and re-building an existing extension.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. There is the principle that a complete rebuild even to the exact same layout is treated as a new extension so could require permission, but I'll stick with my original answer as I like to live on the edge.

PD... maybe not or maybe so. Don’t know how anybody could provide an opinion without being provided with more information. Any link to or an extract of the drawings?

Is this the first time someone on this site correctly spelled 'storey'?

And the winner is ..... (drum roll) ..... everybody.

The council issued a Certificate of Lawful Use or Development.

Technically I think it wasn't PD as I thought when you demolish a building or extension it ceases to exist in planning terms and the replacement can be treated as a brand new structure and this one will be joined to the existing front and side wrap around extension. However this council seems to use a simple tick box sheet to determine if something is PD and as a stand alone side extension this one ticked all the boxes.

Ultimately it is the correct decision as the extension has no more adverse affect on the neighbours than the existing extension. However, if you wanted to add in an extra window or raise the roof up to the full PD allowance etc. that might be a good way to get it through by stealth. However, a different planning officer on a different day might make a completely different decision. Oh the joys of working with planning departments!

A sensible planner? A Christmas Miracle.

Not really, I think it was just a mistake. I've got history with this one. Recently they rejected a prior approval larger home extension application that the client submitted themselves because the homeowner forget to draw a line on the site plan to show the position of the extension.

You'd have thought they would have picked up the phone or sent an email to tell them and ask for a new plan but no, waited the 42 days and then just sent a refusal notice plus a request for a full set of floor plans and existing and proposed elevation drawings if they want to submit a new prior approval application (plus another £96). Bloody planners!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back