Can this be built under Permitted Development?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

Having studied the PD info on various sites, I am still unclear on whether the attached single storey extension would be possible under PD.

There appears to be an assumption that any extension under PD must be attached to an original wall of the property, but I cannot actually see this written anywhere.

Given the attached does not extend beyond the original rear of the property by more than 3m, could it be possible under PD?

Please see attached diagram.

Advice gratefully received

Thanks

Attachments

• pd query.pdf
    89.1 KB · Views: 215
Sponsored Links
No; in Planning terms, the proposed extension would be regarded as one with the existing extensions, so would not be PD.

Hi Tony, whilst I don't dispute your conclusion I don't exactly follow your explanation. Could you please expand on why this isn't PD? Thanks!

OK; once a new extension is joined to an existing extension (regardless of whether the first extension received planning permission or was permitted development), the two combined (or - in your case - three combined) are regarded as one
when it comes to the new extension.

Look at it another way; on your interpretation, people could keep adding extension on to extension, claiming each separate one is permitted development, whereas if they built it all in one go, it would need planning permission.

Sponsored Links
My interpretation doesn't allow continual extension under PD as my proposed single storey extension extends no more than 3m from the ORIGINAL rear of the property. So I couldn't "keep adding" whilst still being within this rule.

Is your understanding, therefore, that for any extension to be possible under PD it must connect to an original part of the property? If so, do you know where this is stated in PD guidance?

Thanks again!

(Assuming the rear of your original house is on the left, and the front is at the right?)

It is nothing to do with the fact that the proposed extension doesn't extend > 3m from the original rear wall.
Admittedly it does not touch the original rear wall of the house, except at a point.
However, it is attached to the two-storey extension, which in turn is attached to the house. The existing extension and the proposed extension would therefore be regarded a one unit by your Planning department, and therefore would need planning permission.

Another way; if the original extension needed planning permission, then the original enlarged by the proposed extension would also need p.p.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back