Permitted Development Rights - impact on further development

Sponsored Links
Am dealing with a council, where planning services have been privatised.

Always helpful and friendly duty officers available at the end of the phone 9-5.
If you get your wallet out, you can shorten the time period for applications ... Validation and Consultation letters sent out within 24 hours, Officers initial decision by email within 3-5 days,
o_O Must admit I haven't experienced this :!:

Its true, but its a hybrid privatised service ... I understand that planning officers still act as 'duty bound council officers' when signing and witnessing certain things, but they also have a separate contract with the privatised side, how ever it is structured - planning services are accelerated when you get your wallet out.

1) Pre-App
2) 3mt PD
3) 6mt PD
4) Flat conversion with 1st floor part rear extension.

"you said you'd been told to make four applications. That's one."

I have 4 planning application references on 4 sets of council acknowledgement letter headings - all validated separately, does that not count as 4 separate applications.

Sponsored Links
2 and 3 are Permitted development, so why are you applying for permission? That in itself is a nonsense. If the work is permitted development then its already pre-approved and does not need permisison.

Even if you apply for an LDC to confirm that they are PD, then it's still nonsense as PD is PD and is not open for debate or opinion and application 3 wont be affected by application 2 .... or 1 or 4.

The pre-app is a complete waste of time and gives no guarantee of anything and is not binding.

If you used a proper designer then all this would have been done in one application, one fee and eight weeks, and would probably have been a better design to boot.

'four applications' - were not all requests for permission.

We were advised (by the council) to regularise (or make lawful) 2 and 3 with LDC's (and have substantially the completed works), before we submit 4.

Application 2 is in case application 3 is refused.

The Pre-App helped us gain finance ... we also had 'pre' pre-app meetings, and the approach is what they advised.

We did our due diligence on the designer, someone well versed and experienced in this particular type of application, and others we are also to make, I have had bad experiences before - but not sure I should go doubting his judgement here.

I agree we could have gone off and simply built the loft and 3mt ground without application, but the 6mt still requires an Application, and party wall is 6/7 weeks before works can begin in earnest, so rather than go against what the council advise - keep them happy and follow the protocol.

I think what you are suggesting is one App for permission goes in, get your PD works up before planning officer arrives to inspect (about 5 weeks after validation) - no need for PD LCD's, a PD LDC would still need to be submitted for the 6mt though ... the 6mt app went in after the 3mt, and only after the scheme was unexpectedly extended.

I can't understand none of it. And have a headache.

You only have a normal house and want some extensions and a loft. One competent designer, one [planning] application for whatever needs applying for, none of this regularisation nonsense, none of this one application in case one is refused (if it will be refused why submit it, dont the designer know his job?), none of this pre-app advice - that's what the designer should know. All this is dealt with by the designer as the single application is assessed.

This is not the way, and I'd hate to think that anyone else reading this saga should think otherwise.

Your designer is crap for advising you. If he had half a clue he would have sorted all this out with the council without you being involved, and done a proper job.

Basically I agree with woody's comments on this , you shouldn't need to go through all this carry on with Planning for house extensions/alterations .
The designer should be able to get to the bottom of it without multiple applications.
Also ,what is a hybrid privatised planning service and what does
' planning services are accelerated when you get your wallet out ' mean ? Are you implying some sort of ' brown envelopes change hands ' sort of thing :?:
I don't understand what you are saying either :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back