Modifications to the build after Permitted Development appro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could someone please clarify, to what extent can I modify my (permitted development) rear extension, during the build phase, to the extent that it still complies with PD rules, without seeking approval from the council again (unlike an approval for planning permission which requires even small modifications to be approved)?

I understand that with PD you do not need approval as it is your given right as it were upto the limits prescribed by the GPDO, but if for example we sought approval because of the NCS for an 8m extension and this was approved, and we then later decided we wanted to add a roof lantern OR we decided that we wanted to make the rear wall all bifolds, do these modifications need to be notified again to the council? Would you answer be any different if we sought a certificate of lawful development for the initial proposal?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you used the prior notification scheme and got the go-ahead from the council (assuming no objection from a neighbour), then it would not be p.d. if you later decided to put a lantern on, because the maximum height would have increased.

Hi Tony

Ok that was a bad example. What I meant was, if I wants to move an existing lantern a metre or so or change the orientation etc. Basically I'm more concerned about the aesthetics of a particular change rather than introducing something which will change the overall size of the volume of the structure so the introduction of the bi folds or a change in the door / window design during th building phase.

Thx.

Just realised something else with respect to your first reply: what stops someone proposing the max permitted height under PD and then always doing something less - that was you never fall foul of any PD rules?

Sponsored Links
When you send in a prior notification application, you have to state the maximum heightof the structure, maximum height of the eaves, and maximum distance out from the rear wall. If you keep below the stated figures when you build it, it will still be p.d.

So as long as I stay within the height constraints of PD etc, I could theoretically add 3 roof lantern to my build if they were not in the original PD Plans submitted?

So as long as I stay within the height constraints of PD etc, I could theoretically add 3 roof lantern to my build if they were not in the original PD Plans submitted as long as they don't exceed the permitted height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back