Permitted development or not that is the question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We'd like to make an application for a larger home extension under permitted development, subject to neighbour consultation (our neighbours are all happy with our proposed plan). We propose to add a 3m rear extension to the rear of our house, as shown in the attachment, which when added to the old rear extension would make the 6m total rear extension we're allowed. I'd convinced myself that this would be possible, but I'm now second guessing myself and so I wanted to seek the opinion of those of you who are far more knowledgable than me! My doubts arise as having read the technical guidance again, I'm not certain as to whether our proposed extension contravenes (ja) of the PD technical guidance exclusion criteria, as it would join the original rear extension which is of course joined to the side return extension, thereby making our proposed extension subject to both the rear and side extension PD criteria. This would then make it too wide, as it's more than half the width of the house. I hope that I'm wrong and that our proposed rear extension is just that, as it doesn't touch the side return extension. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Now and proposed plan..pdf
    254.2 KB · Views: 381
Sponsored Links
There's no prior approval here, because half the development has already been completed.

There's no prior approval here, because half the development has already been completed.
Thanks Nakajo. The side return and rear extensions were already there. We're simply seeking prior approval to extend from the original rear wall of the house, back 6m, including the old rear extension, as allowed under PD.

It isn't technically permitted development. However, sometimes the Planners let things like that slip through so it might be worth having a punt.

Just be very careful what you show on any plans and your description. Play down any mention of the existing extension (without actually lying) and some dopey Planning officer might not realise. For example "existing rear elevation" is not the same as "original rear elevation" but might just give you enough wriggle room to get it through.

Sponsored Links
You might of got away with it if it didn't touch the side extension. As it is attached to the side extension too you need to comply with (as you originally stated) both side and rear extension guidelines. not going to be compliant

It isn't technically permitted development. However, sometimes the Planners let things like that slip through so it might be worth having a punt.

Just be very careful what you show on any plans and your description. Play down any mention of the existing extension (without actually lying) and some dopey Planning officer might not realise. For example "existing rear elevation" is not the same as "original rear elevation" but might just give you enough wriggle room to get it through.

I think the trick here is to NOT send in any detailed (eg Building Regs) plans at all - just give the minimum drawing required by A4(2)b which is:

"a plan indicating the site and showing the proposed development".

The plan can be a free-hand sketch (doesn't have to be to scale) and is an ideal way of disguising what is there without actually stating it.

The application form does mention 'a plan indicating the site and showing the proposed development and any existing enlargement of the
original dwellinghouse to which the enlarged part will be joined', but the LPA wouldn't request this detail unless a neighbour objected.

Yes, that's what the form states. But the form was produced by DCLG and is for convenience only - you don't have to use it. I only just send in a brief letter + sketch because the rules only say that the notification "must be in writing".

That's right - it doesn't even request that the letter be sent to the planning department. I address mine registered post to the Town Hall. If it gets there, it gets there.

Tony1851 and Nakajo, you certainly sound from your discourse like you know what you're talking about, however I'm no clearer as to our position. I wish I could attribute that solely to being blonde, but I can't! Can either of you help me, as I still don't know whether we can do this under PD, as a Larger Home Extension, Neighbour Consultation. Thank you! I've read back through previous posts and I'm still unsure as the extension we want to add is only to the rear of the building.

Last edited:
As posters above have pointed out, technically it wouldn't be permitted development for two main reasons:

1. It would join to an existing 'wrap-round' extension which itself would have needed planning permission. Convention is that the whole extension (ie existing extension plus proposed 3m extension) is viewed as one for Planning purposes. As the consultation scheme only applies to rear extensions (and not rear + side) that would rule it out.

2. For the NC scheme to apply, the work must not be retrospective. As part of your 6m extension would already exist, that would also take it out of the scheme.

Having said all this, councils vary widely in how they apply the rules - some are not even fully clued up on the rules, so no-one here can give you a definitive answer as to how your application would be received. As several above have said, give it a try by supplying the absolute legal minimum information you need, and see what the council comes up with - you might be lucky.

As posters above have pointed out, technically it wouldn't be permitted development for two main reasons:

1. It would join to an existing 'wrap-round' extension which itself would have needed planning permission. Convention is that the whole extension (ie existing extension plus proposed 3m extension) is viewed as one for Planning purposes. As the consultation scheme only applies to rear extensions (and not rear + side) that would rule it out.

2. For the NC scheme to apply, the work must not be retrospective. As part of your 6m extension would already exist, that would also take it out of the scheme.

Having said all this, councils vary widely in how they apply the rules - some are not even fully clued up on the rules, so no-one here can give you a definitive answer as to how your application would be received. As several above have said, give it a try by supplying the absolute legal minimum information you need, and see what the council comes up with - you might be lucky.
Thanks Tony1851, very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back