Rear extension under permitted development with previous side extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a lawful development application turned down because the proposed rear extension connects with an existing side extension, making it a rear/side extension with restrictions on width. For context, it's a green belt application on a house that's already been extended by around 30-50%, so I'm wanting to make the most of the PD rights as a fallback position to justify what we are really after.

I've attached diagrams of the existing house. The previous side extension wraps around at the rear slightly.

If I put a gap between the rear and side extensions (see the second diagram), would the rear extension then be permissible?

I'll likely need some pre-planning advice, but hoping someone might know the answer to get a quick indication of what's likely to be possible.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pd-check-existing.png
    pd-check-existing.png
    14 KB · Views: 339
  • pd-check-adjusted.png
    pd-check-adjusted.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 323
Sponsored Links
With regard to recent case law (see Hilton v DCLG), I would be sorely tempted to seek a legal opinion. I think you might have a case.

I doubt he would really need to seek a legal opinion - it's all there in black and white. He would need to re-submit and at the same time advise the planning dept to get up to speed and check Hilton.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back