2 single storey side extensions under PD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it acceptable under Permitted development to build a single storey side extension on both ends (sides) of a detached dwelling? Unless I've missed it in the PD regs and guide documents I can only find references to single side extensions not multiple side extensions (not asking about two storey extensions)

If it is allowed under PD, is the 50% width restriction applicable to both extensions (which would effectively double the width of the original property) or would the total width of both have to be no more than half width of original house?

I am interested in building is a garage on one side of the house and a lounge extension on the other side.

Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You can do that under permitted development.

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

What about the width restriction? Is it up to half the width of the original 1948 building for each of the two side extensions, which could result in a doubling of the original width, or is it the width of both extensions when added together should not exceed half the original 1948 width?

Have a look at number 5 in this;

Attachments

• Part-1-of-the-GPDO-The-10-Worst-Permitted-Development-Loopholes.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,568
Sponsored Links
I think I read on this forum this morning that the extension off an extension loophole had been closed in 2017, but I can't find that thread again at the moment

Edit: Just found the thread mentioned above at https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/permitted-development-rights-class-a.461957/page-3#post-3878317

Re-edit: Apologies, I misread the notes on the link you provided. The two existing side extensions appear to be part of the original build and not as I thought built at a later date- hence the extension off an extension comment. Doh!

So if I understand correctly I could build a garage on one side of a detached property up to half the width of the original house and built an lounge extension on the other side of the property also up to half the width of the original property, subject to other restrictions being adhered to, i.e. 4 metre overall height, eaves height , corner plot etc?

Last edited:
So if I understand correctly I could build a garage on one side of a detached property up to half the width of the original house and built an lounge extension on the other side of the property also up to half the width of the original property, subject to other restrictions being adhered to, i.e. 4 metre overall height, eaves height , corner plot etc?

Yes, that's it. Got there in the end!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back