Dormer Insualtion Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I am looking for advice regarding the best way to upgrade the insulation in my north facing dormer as im a bit baffled by all the different types of insulation available.

Currently there is only a thin layer of fiber glass insulation in the ceiling and dormer walls which means the front bedrooms are cold in winter. The wall and ceiling joists are both 3x2 so this obviously limits the amount of insulation I can get in.

My first thoughts were to fill between the joists with 75mm celotex GA 4000 but then I read about needing air gaps and thought I would be limited to 50mm celotex.

So then my second thought was to push in 100mm rockwool as i don't think i would need an air gap with this.

Which would be the best to go with, I was hoping to avoid using rockwool as its just vile to work with but if i have to i will. I cant find much info regarding rockwool so cant compare which one would be more efficient.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back