Dot & Dab On Pebble Dash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a utility room. The external wall of the existing house has a pebble dash finish. Hence, one of the internal walls of the new extension is formed by a section of the existing pebble dash wall. I am hoping to dot and dab plasterboard onto the rendered finish, but do not know how to prepare the wall. I have read various posts and 'normal' walls (block work, whatever) are coated with dilute PVA or dilute SBR.

1. Should I use dilute PVA, dilute SBR or something else prior to bonding the plasterboard onto the pebbledash?
2. What ratio of PVA to water OR SBR to water should I use?
3. Should I allow the dilute PVA or SBR to dry prior to fixing the plaster board?
4. Are there any other methods I could use to cover the pebble dash?

Thanks for your help.
Sean

Sponsored Links
Why not strap the wall with 2"x1" or 2"x2" timber posts,, insulate between the posts as you go if necessary, then fit 12.5mm thick plasterboard sheeting, then tape or skim the wall. You'll have room to fit new sockets too if required. A "far far" better job than dot and dab.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I have used batton's in the past and prefer the technique, as you do.

However, as the extension size was constrained by the site, I have an internal dimension of 1.9m between the pebble dashed wall and the opposite block wall. I was trying to minimise any reduction in this dimension as I was hoping to install a washing machine, dishwasher and tumble drier in the space; hence my wish to pinch a few more millimetres if possible.

Hi - what have you done at the very end? I'm facing a very similar challenge now so wondering what's your experience with pebbledash wall plastering. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Hi - what have you done at the very end? I'm facing a very similar challenge now so wondering what's your experience with pebbledash wall plastering. Thank you!
depends whether it’s cavity or solid wall? whether it’s cavity filled and if there’s a cavity tray above. Also whether the wall above is subject to driving rain.

depends whether it’s cavity or solid wall? whether it’s cavity filled and if there’s a cavity tray above. Also whether the wall above is subject to driving rain.

In my case it's an internal wall now (was external long time ago and hence dashed) all covered by pitched roof (joined into the main roof) above.

I don't want to remove pebbledash as it's hard as rock and some of the bricks behind aren't looking that great. The same time while mortar is very hard to remove, actual stones are quite loose - can remove most of them just scrapping with a chisel.

So basically I'm considering two options now after removing loose stones - either dot and dap or use metal low profile studs with plaster on top.

safer to go with the studs.
or you could bond a 25mm insulated board to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back