double check valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thank you "onetap",the cause is about right, could you explain further your solution as the ground floor central heating forward flow is from pump upstairs the ground floor return is also upstairs (down & up) then to boiler return on the way picking up HW return then upstairs radiator return then down to boiler

original request
how can I stop the hot water return feeding down the ground floor central heating radiators, as for many years i have had problems when hot water tank return is feeding back down stairs to rediators, i was advised to fit a check valve on the down stairs return. now there is no hot water flow down stairs, I beleive due to lack of pressure on its return & as up stairs flow is not restricted it takes the easy route. what alternatives do I have to stophot water return

Sponsored Links
Sort the pipework out. It is usually caused by the upstairs CH R being connected to the HW cylinder primary return and then one common return pipe dropping to the ground floor where the ground floor CH R is connected.

The upstairs CH R should drop and connect to the ground floor CH R. The HW cylinder primary return then connects to the common return. Anything else is wrong and a bodge.

could you explain further your solution as the ground floor central heating forward flow is from pump upstairs the ground floor return is also upstairs (down & up) then to boiler return on the way picking up HW return then upstairs radiator return then down to boiler

As stated, you should join up the two (or more) heating returns and only then connect the HWS cylinder primary return. This is a common error by DIYers or 1st year plumbing students, but not one you'd make twice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back