Double Glazing Installation Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Hoping for some advice from any window fitters or experts.

I had new windows and doors installed by a fensa registered company 6 weeks ago but it has been a nightmare from start to finish!

I have not received a fensa certificate and according to fensa it has not been registered.

Amongst other issues I have two windows which should have been toughened glass due to the location next to a door and height from the floor but neither glass panels are kite marked. I understand all toughened glass must be kite marked?
Am I right in thinking this would fail building regulations?

I have not been able to get them to respond to emails or calls to put this right so what can I do to get the fensa certificate?

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony,

I am having similar problems with a window installation and took advice from the legal advice line that came with my home insurance. If you have this then you should give them a call and they can talk you through the correct process.

In short you need to send them a letter setting out the issues and referencing the consumer rights act 2015. You need to set out what you want them to do to rectify (in this case replace the glass with toughened and provide a certificate) and give them an appropriate amount of time. I was told 7, 10 or 14 days. You should refer to your right under s24 of the act to claim the cost of rectification by another trader should they fail to carry out the repairs.

Good luck

you are correct about the mark , but doesn't have to be a Kitemark, should have a stamp ( usually in a corner ) that has BSEN12150. and it has to be easily visible or it will fail a Fensa inspection. You do mention building regs , so is the work part of an extension or similiar and has needed planning permission and Building Control sign off , if so you won't get a Fensa certificate as Building control overrules the need to register the installation

Thanks both for your replies.

Ronnie, this was replacement of existing double glazing which as I understand it needs to be registered with fensa or the local building control. Correct me if I am wrong.

Sponsored Links
Won't correct you , as you are absolutely correct. I would also be tempted to keep Fensa informed, as with the lack of Safety glazing within 12 inches of the door , or below 800mm, along with the lack of registration they are breaking Fensa's conditions of membership

Funnily enough I did contact fensa about all the issues including the toughened glass but they didn't seem interested.
One of the other issues I have is that we requested trickle vents to deal with codensation which have not been fitted but fensa simply said we didn't need them because we never had them before.
They made no mention of the toughened glass issue or the fact they haven't even registered the installation in their response.

Hmmm... thats slightly worrying about Fensa, maybe worth asking them to inspect the installation , as currently it would fail. Unfortunately they are correct about the trickle vents but if you have it written in your quotation and hopefully drawings showing the specifications , then you have more of a case against the company that fitted them , and maybe Trading Standards should be informed.

Thankfully I paid by credit card so my credit card company are also looking into this for me with regards to refunding my money as I have been trying to get a response from the DG company for nearly 4 weeks now. I'll give them one final letter I think warning them of my intention to contact fensa and trading standards as well as getting another company in to do the work. Hopefully they'll pull their finger out and I can put this to bed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back