Double Glazing Top Hung Windows Hinges Repairs - Urgent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I am trying to fix the hinges for a double glazing windows top hung of the kitchen.

Got the following question:

1.The left hand side seem to be broken reason the windows top hung is not closing. Do I need to change both hinges i.e left and right

2.Anyone could advise on how to remove the hinges as they did not use screws.

I am based in Bounds Green and any advice welcome. Any reasonable quote will also be considered. Also note this is on the second floor of a block of flat but can be repaired from the inside as this is the windows top hung.

Please also see the pictures (//www.diynot.com/network/mikeyoung/albums)

Many thanks in anticipation for all the replies.

Anyone who reply will get 10% discount on my amazon shop where we sell many cool products. (to Cajar - This is my way of appreciation for help on this matter and you will also note that I have not put my amazon shop link)

Regards

Mike Young

Sponsored Links
are you sure there is no screws. first dimple on way up
that entire metal piece comes out.
the do the other side and pull the window in you may need a second pair of hands.
the hinge is then screwed to the window

try pushing the top up and pulling the bottom in as it may have just been pushed to far out and a bit of lube on the runner and joints

Sponsored Links
Drill out the centre of the rivits with a 4.8mm bit, Do 2 each side then drill the final 2 one handed while holding the sash with the other (never hurts to tie the handle to something just in case).

Buy/borrow a pop rivet gun with some 4.8mm - 5mm rivets.

Best to change them as a pair as you will have to buy a pair anyway.

Hopefully they will be screwed to the sash but they may be rivited here too.

*Before removing the hinge from the sash close it and place the new hinge along side with the tops meeting, Mark the centre fixing (non elongated) of the new hinge as the fixing holes will quite probably be in a different place (if so you can use screws rather that rivets).*

Might be worth calling a few DG companys for a quote as it can be a bit tricky getting the sash to work right again. Down here in Somerset I would charge about £40-50 for this, Probably a bit more out there though.

I had exactly the same problem last week on the same sized top opener in my bathroom. Just for a try I doused the hinges/running gear all moving parts in WD40 and left it for 10 minutes, not actually believing it would solve the problem. But, lo and behold the window now opens and shuts fine :D !

Thank you all for the answers and suggestions. As promised I will give 10% off on my Amazon Online Shop (online*computers*electronics*bargains). Can't give more info but sure you will find it.

7.00 pm 06/02/12 - I have checked the hinges last night and one of them had the sliding part broken and therefore had to change both. It does not use rivets but screws lucky for me otherwise had to get a drill.By the time I had removed both - took me half an hour it was 7.25 pm and went to Screwfix to buy the hinges.

7.55 pm I have managed to buy the new hinges from screwfix (bar code 5020789089855) ; (Screwfix Item No 63517-0002) ; Product Description : SXTHO8P Friction Hinge 200 X 13 Top Hung - Pairs of Two ; Price £4.55 Including VAT

8.00 pm Start replacing them. The old hinges use 3 screws to hold it to the windows frame whereas the new one use only 2 screws. I have tried to use the same screws and positions the old hinges were attached to the windows frames. In terms of the windows top hung, there were 3 screws to attach the old hinges to the windows top hung frame but the new hinges there were only two holes so had to use only two screws.

8.30pm As the kitchen windows top hung is on the second floor of a block of flat you can imagine that doing it alone is like SAS (Special Forces) at work. But fortunately you can do it from inside the kitchen and standing on the kitchen top. Finished installing both hinges. But the windows does not close properly. Try to move the hinges' positions on the windows frame but so far no luck. I need help here again and I have put the pictures after installing the new hinges. (See Pictures)

Advice Required:
1. Advice on how to adjust the hinges on the windows frame and/or the windows top hung
2. There was a screw on the sliding part of the hinges - does that need adjustment
3.Do let me know if you want to see the old hinges as the new hinges were not exactly the same but the best match the screwfix staff could find for me.

As usual thanks for all replies in anticipation and you will note I am writing this request at 2.48 am as I am taking a break from doing all my amazon orders (very busy due to snow and people buying online as such)

I will be off to work in the city at 7.00 am and will be back after 7pm and hope to get the problem out of the way tonight.

As I mentioned it would have been easyer to put the new hinge along side the old one and mark the new fixing posisions before removing the old hinges from the sash. Unless you can get the same make of hinges the holes rarely line up.

With the sash closed as far as it will go you should now be able to estimate how far each side of the hinge needs to be moved. You can judge it by assuming that the welds on both the sash and the frame need to line up (tricky to judge from the slight angle on the photo but I would guess the left hand side wants to go up a touch more than the right?)

Remove the sash again and pencil mark each side where they are before moving and rescrewing in the correct place.

It dosent hurt to fix the hinges to the sash a few mm lower (futher than your estimated measurments making the sash higher) this way you have a bit of play for ajustment when fixing the hinges back to the frame instead of having to remove the sash again if your a few mm short.

Sponsored Links
Back