Double glazing windows installers who make their own windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am getting quotes on new windows and door (bifold).

What's the general feeling about companies/double glazing windows installers who manufacture their own windows and doors? They say it meets all the standards but I still have concerns...

Are they generally better than branded or worse? They seem to have cheaper quotes...

Sponsored Links
Makes sense, you are supporting what is a often a local firm. I used one, no hard sell, and a good price. If they are certified and installed to correct standards, what's not to like, its a benefit of wider competition in the market that used to be dominated by the big companies. The design might be less state of the art but you can judge that.

Blup

They will typically use profiles supplied by one of several suppliers, look for one who can supply windows built by profiles from the likes of Eurocell, Liniar, Rehau, decurnick, Halo, Kommerling. But it's really all in the fitting, an OK window fitted by a brilliant fitter will be better than a brilliant window fitted by an awful fitter, or within reason but you get the gist.

Sponsored Links
Does that go for aluminium doors too?
Heck yeah, for doors I think a fair few fitters don't really appreciate that the glass is a vital structural component that needs packing and supporting correctly, otherwise the weight of it pulls the doorframe out of shape

You may be thinking about it the wrong way round.

Most window sellers don't manufacture, they out source and fit. They are easy to spot as they have sales teams, want to visit you, and will suddenly offer out a discount towards month end when they have targets to hit.

I'd go so far to say they don't really fit either as they use a network of independent fitters around the country. Ok, some are employed by the company, but not salaried, they get paid by the window. That's why you see them turn up at 8 am and do a house in a day, and slap silicone around like it's going out of fashion.

The question is more can you find a throat to choke if it goes wrong? Obviously if you use one of the big names, there's more likelihood they will fix the issue with the least fuss.

We recently decided to replace our wooden backdoor with a composite. Big name wanted £3k, surveyor would come round to measure, another lot to fit. Online firm wanted £900 for the door and £500 to fit. Online lot we went with charged £700 and I'll fit it myself (I need to rebuild the cill first).

If you did decide to go down the supply only route, check if you can find fitters locally. Many will only supply and fit but some glaziers will fit only.

You may be thinking about it the wrong way round.

Most window sellers don't manufacture, they out source and fit. They are easy to spot as they have sales teams, want to visit you, and will suddenly offer out a discount towards month end when they have targets to hit.

I'd go so far to say they don't really fit either as they use a network of independent fitters around the country. Ok, some are employed by the company, but not salaried, they get paid by the window. That's why you see them turn up at 8 am and do a house in a day, and slap silicone around like it's going out of fashion.

The question is more can you find a throat to choke if it goes wrong? Obviously if you use one of the big names, there's more likelihood they will fix the issue with the least fuss.

Have you only ever dealt with the big companies? They all make their own windows, fitting teams are all.self employed and are a Nightmare to deal with when something goes wrong.
Local firm sells windows at best price poss, usually buy windows in, employ the fitters and usually sort issues as they need to for reputation.
Please don't tar all window companies with the same brush as the likes of Everest (2020), Anglian and Safestyle....I'd avoid all three for poor sales techniques, poor fitting and poor after care!

Not really a lot more to add to what Ronnie says other than to confirm the bigger companies like the big 3 mentioned and other larger regional companies all manufacture their own windows and some will even make their own glass units. The cost of the equipment to manufacture frames will run into hundreds of thousands of pounds so only the nationals and large regional companies can afford this, I'm 53 and where I live we have a family run window company that was in business when I was at school and are still trading today even fabricating there own stuff now for 20 years(eurocell), they also do supply only which a lot of the smaller one man bands use and also don't turn away retail customers

To answer the OP ....."companies/double glazing windows installers who manufacture their own windows and doors? They say it meets all the standards but I still have concerns.."

Well someone has to manufacture them somewhere along the line, genuine question here but why do think their doors and windows wouldn't meet the standards? Just to clarify, small one man bands or a small outfit employing a few fitters, they do not make their own windows, they buy them in from a much bigger company that probably have a 50,000sqft + factory employing 100 people and have a fleet of vans. Then you have the big three who look after themselves only and don't fabricate for anyone else

Avoid the big three, they spend tens of thousands of pounds a month on advertising, a problem job here or there will not harm them one bit, a small/large ish local firm whos owner you can speak to face to face if needs be, who employ their fitters, who advertise locally in a parish mag or local radio, facebook or just rely on recomendations and word of mouth, your still going to get an insurance backed guarantee either way, just that the smaller firms will more likely turn out for remedial works before the big three do

I was never intending to use the big 3/4 - once made a mistake of asking for a quote... anyway, I would like to use local.

I have concerns because I got double glazing about 8 years ago from a small company that said they manufacture their own. It met all the standards and warranties but was pretty poor quality. Felt like they met minimum standards for accreditation. So I thought maybe best to go for one that has a branded supplier and installs.

From the responses it sounds like these guys probably don't actually make their own but buy in.

I was never intending to use the big 3/4 - once made a mistake of asking for a quote... anyway, I would like to use local.

I have concerns because I got double glazing about 8 years ago from a small company that said they manufacture their own. It met all the standards and warranties but was pretty poor quality. Felt like they met minimum standards for accreditation. So I thought maybe best to go for one that has a branded supplier and installs.

From the responses it sounds like these guys probably don't actually make their own but buy in.
upvc window manufacture can be quite cheap to set up -and some local firms have gone down that route using a budget profile and small and old machinery -but they dont have the automation, the software etc for efficient production system

personally I would choose a local company or one man band operation that surveys and installs but orders from a main fabricator.

Thing is unless you see the frame before fitting you'll not know the quality. Sounds like the previous firm may have used one of the not so good profiles eg. Duraflex ( which has been ceased Production recently ) or they were just very poor at making frames or used cheap hardware. As has been mentioned before though a poor quality window fitted well is still better than a good quality window fitted poorly.
Don't write off local firms who make their own windows... go and ask to see samples and maybe ask on local Facebook groups if anyones had issues. BUT majority of small local Installers will now buy frames in from larger manufacturers but again still seek samples as big manufacturers can make poor frames ( I can think of one Northern Irish company for a start whose windoes id never touch but I'm not naming names lol )
Speak to the firm, speak to people in local Facebook groups or on the same street as you that have used them.... recommendations are worth a thousand words!

Thanks for all the advice - gonna try for a local fitter to supply and fit, but one that has a quality supplier

Few years ago I had a several sets of bifolding doors, tilt n turn and large windows made by White Rose Windows in Leeds. They established a sister company a few years ago in London; Balham Trade Centre. At the time they were mainly supply-only but did have one in-house fitting team for smaller jobs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back