double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking to buy electric double oven.
1.choice is Zanussi and brochure says connected load 5.4 KW and fuse required is 30 amp.If this is correct what size cable is required.
2.choice is Hot point and load is 5200 W.Is it 5.2 KW and again what size cable is needed.I have split load configerable board.Does oven need rcd protection,if so which mcb should be nearest to incommer,32amp for garage,50 amp for shower or what size for oven mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
Both of the ovens you mention would be OK on a 32A breaker. The cable size will probably be 6mm. Note that the breaker is there to protect the cable!

It is usual to have the highest consumption devices closest to the incomer but, unless you know what you are doing, I would not advise you to re-organise your consumer unit if it's set out differently.

Ovens dont normally need to be on an RCD unless you have a comination cooker switch with a socket. in that case it should be on the RCD side of the board.

TTC

saleem said:
1.choice is Zanussi and brochure says connected load 5.4 KW and fuse required is 30 amp.If this is correct what size cable is required.
2.choice is Hot point and load is 5200 W.Is it 5.2 KW and again what size cable is needed.

Depends on the length of cable run and the derating factors applied to that run. Such factors include: running in insulation, inside conduit/trunking, high ambient temperatures, bunched with lots of other cables.

saleem said:
Does oven need rcd protection,if so which mcb should be nearest to incommer,32amp for garage,50 amp for shower or what size for oven mentioned above.

It does not need RCD protection assuming the cooker outlet does not include a socket.

You should arrange the MCB's in order of size. Largest should be closest to the incomer. 32A MCB for the oven, and I would advise you use 6mm² twin and earth at a minimum incase of future upgrades etc.

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
Both of the ovens you mention would be OK on a 32A breaker. The cable size will probably be 6mm. Note that the breaker is there to protect the cable!

It is usual to have the highest consumption devices closest to the incomer but, unless you know what you are doing, I would not advise you to re-organise your consumer unit if it's set out differently.

Ovens dont normally need to be on an RCD unless you have a comination cooker switch with a socket. in that case it should be on the RCD side of the board.

TTC
I have already bought MEM 7+7 configerable S/L board.I would definitely not touch CU.I have small crawling celler and sparky would,nt go in,and for that reason i have to run all the cables under celler to closest point so sparky can fit new CU and do other work.
Thanks for excellent advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back